It was lucky that we got to church a little early this morning because as soon as we sat down, one of the bishopric members approached Spencer, asking if he'd be sitting on the stand today!! The confusion on Spencer's face said it all and right away the 2nd counselor knew that Spencer hadn't been informed of his speaking assignment. Oops! Luckily, Spencer's a great "winger". He accepted the speaking assignment, and gave a GREAT talk 30 minutes later!
The whole incident ended up being a blessing because Spencer didn't have to stress about a talk all week. Instead, he spent his weekend putting together his new fly fishing rod (which he's become completely obsessed about). He was up until 1:30am trying knots! According to Spencer, rigging up a fly rod is a complicated process requiring several, complex knots that they don't teach you in Boy Scouts, which have to be learned staring at an illustrated how-to manual. Actually, his knot tying experience made for a good intro to his talk (about overcoming adversity) and now Spencer's got a whole gang of friends at church who want to go fishing with him. Lovely!
8 comments:
Whoa-I can't believe he gave a LONG talk without any notice...that's awesome!! For a minute there I thought you were going to say they wanted him to come up to the stand b/c he was going to become a new bishopric member! Thank goodness it was just a talk! Hope Madi continues to get better quickly!
whoa! poor MADI! Thats stinks dude! Sounds like Lexi though, from one boogery nose to the OTHER! UHHHHH!
okay and i CAN NOT believe they forgot to tell SPencer about his talk! Thats CRAZY! Id have RUN the OTHER WAY!!!! but thats me and im LAME!
We cant wait to see you SOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
Wow. Spencer is amazing. I don't think I could do that.
I didn't know Spencer liked to fish. Kevin likes to fish too, but only in the summer.
Poor little Madi, she sounds like she's had a miserable couple of weeks. Ear infections suck! There's no other way to put it.
We bought our plane tickets tonight!!! We are flying in on May 27! Hopefully Spencer is done with finals by then... Didn't think about that until just now.
Oh my heck! I would've ran away fast if that happened to me at church. Being able to wing it is a skill I definitely don't have. Way to go Spence!
Looks like Spence will be ice fishing here for a while until the weather warms up. :) That's a pretty cool looking rod though. Tell Madi to get better and stay better! Love you guys.
Ok, just so you know, I totally could NOT tell that he was winging it. Good job Spencer.
And poor Madi! We went through a sick streak with Tyler like every other week for a while and *knock on wood* haven't had anything for a while, so hopefully you will have a long term healthy baby SOON!
P.S. We need to do something.
I had no idea that Spencer had winged it until I heard after church. Dale said that he will never leave the assigning of talks to (an unnamed) "someone else" ever again! Haha!
Oh my goodness, he winged it! Wow, I am very impressed!
Tess is wearing "madi-tails" today. She still doesn't have quite enough to look as cute as Madi! Hope the ear infections stay AWAY!
Post a Comment