Monday, November 23, 2009

What's in an Orchestra anyway?

Spencer decided to try something new and different for he and Madi's daddy daughter date this past weekend. Instead of the regular trip to Petsmart, park, or store, he decided to branch out and take Madi to a concert put on by the Capital City Symphony. One of Spencer's coworkers is in the Orchestra and told everyone at the firm about their concerts. Spencer looked at the schedule and found the perfect one that he could take Madi to. It was a "family concert" (so obviously very kid friendly), entitled "What's In an Orchestra, Anyway?"

Before the concert began, orchestra members were milling around the theater, playing their instruments and letting the kids touch and play as well. For several months now Madi's been interested in the violin, so naturally she was excited to hold the bow and touch it to the violin. And after last night she's now also intrigued with the drums.

The concert was focused on teaching about what an orchestra is. So the conductor first broke the orchestra into groups . . .

The percussion:

brass instruments:

winds:

and strings:

Then they put it all together-again, kid friendly! I think this is why Madi came home wanting to be a conductor!

Videos will have to suffice for this post- cameras were not allowed during the performance. I cut Spencer some slack on not getting pictures before or after the show- he got his full share of daddy duties on this date! The funniest was one that I've never even experienced- a leaky diaper that dripped out onto the floor. Oops, sorry Spence- I guess we should have changed her diaper from the morning and/or not given her a sippy full of milk to enjoy on the car ride into the city!

When they got home I asked Madi what her favorite part of the orchestra was she told me she wanted to conduct and play the drums. So those must have been the highlights for her! What a great daddy my girls have!

4 comments:

tylerandmommy said...

I'm so glad that Madi got to experience that with her Daddy. What an excellent date!

BTW Tyler has a cold so I am waiting to see how he is tomorrow as to whether Wednesday is going to happen or not. Cross your fingers. And he made a bow for Madi. :)

Cothran Family said...

What a good daddy! Aaron swears that he always gets the "worst" diapers when it's his turn to change :) You need to call Jenna about getting Madi a little violin!

Terry Family said...

You only change Madi's diaper once a day?
Looks like a fun date.
Spencer, do you remember the Peter and the Wolf (record?) we used to listen to or watch? I can't remember many details of it, just that it was an orchestra, and taught us about the different sections. I think their might be a sesame street DVD that Madi would like that is about visiting an orchestra.

Lis said...

How FUN! You guys are always up to cool stuff. WHY DID I MOVE AGAIN?????????????????????