Thursday, August 28, 2008

14 Months!


Madi is 14 months old today! Since we were away this summer over her birthday, Madi missed her one year check-up and shots. So yesterday I took her in. Madilyn now weighs 21 lbs (40th percentile), is 30 1/2 in. long (80th percentile) and has a good sized head (62nd percentile). While it's always good to hear that she's growing just as she should, this check-up was the worst one yet! Madi was completely hysterical about her shots- she was crying even before the shots were given! To Madi's credit though, the nurse did warn me that these shots are pretty painful ones! But then she was also naughty when the doctor did his routine examination. I just wonder how long this afraid of everyone but mom act is supposed to last!?! Things have gotten much better since we've come home, but some of the things I'm guessing just come with this age include:

1) Being clinging and preferring one parent over everyone else (Yes, unfortunately I'm the lucky parent who Madi's decided to be clingy with)!
2) CRAZY active- always wanting to explore!
3) Super vocal about everything!

It's been fun coming home this month and watching Madi explore- getting to know her home, toys, and bedroom again. It's also been good seeing her get excited about the bath again. I'm SO glad that phase is over!

Some of the new things Madi's done this past month include:

* Saying "hi" and "bye" to everyone she meets. You'd think she doesn't suffer from stranger anxiety with the way she gets excited and waves at strangers- greeting them with a big friendly smile and saying "hi!" Saying "bye" started last week.
* Growing a new bottom tooth, giving her a grand total of 5 teeth now!
* Shaking her head and saying "no" when not interested in something.
* Mimicking words and letters that she hears and that Spencer and I tell her to say.
* WALKING! She took her first steps while we were in Boise and has been taking it very slow and carefully since then. She's walked across the room a couple of times, but since crawling is still faster she prefers the alternative!



As clingy and whiny as Madi is, she's still such a happy girl and loves to play! She laughs hysterically when something is funny, voluntarily gives hugs and kisses, feeds her baby bottles, and loves snuggling with her stuffed animals. Here's just a few more pictures of Madi this past month.




16 comments:

Becca said...

What a cutie! She is so adorable! From the age she is now to Braddock's age now has been my favorite stage! They are so much fun and start learning so much stuff!

Jones Family said...

I'm so happy you are home! You are back to your old blogging self! I love reading your blogs. Madi is so cute in your pics. I love the one of her reading in her car seat. She looks so grown up!
I hate being the parent of choice too sometimes. I get so excited when they want Daddy. I don't take it as rejection, I take it as a break! I bet Madi will feel more confident now that she is at home. Good Luck!
One more thing... when my kids get shots they get a special "boo boo sticky" (band-aide) I don't know if that will help the shot situation.

Annie said...

What a sweet little girl!! looks like you had fun on your family vacation. Love family trips always fun to see the fam. Good luck with school this year.

Lis said...

Aww! Im going to cry! SHES such a big girl!!! I LOVE IT! I cant believe shes walking! thats so cute! I love that first picture too! Madi youre going to have to teach Lexi your skillz in a few weeks!!! CUTE!!!!! Its so fun to see you inside your house too! YOURE HOME!!! YEY!

JoSue said...

Oh Madi, so adorable! You really have caught some great pictures of her. I'm glad to hear she's lovin her baths again! Fourteen months though, it's gone by way too fast! Great post on the family reunion, by the way. I didn't get as many pictures as everyone else so I may have to steal some... Love you guys!

Lollidale Farm said...

What a fun update! I loved that video...Aww! The old walk-to-the-cell-phone trick. It's amazing how much little kids love cell phones!

Popi and CeCe said...

Madi is so adorable! What a cute walker!! Soon SHE will be on the pilates ball. I think she is doing wonderfully, glad to be home--you really had a CraZy summer--all those new people and places for her to see and visit--I would cling to mom a bit too. She is so out-going and such a cutie! We MISS you here at JEFFERSON. OSS in just 5 weeks. Hearts, anyone?
Cheryl

Marbell Payne said...

SO CUTE she is!! Do you remember how stuck to my hip Steven was...it was bad. Steven still prefers mom...but only on occasion. It will be over before you know it...so enjoy it while you can. Although, I totally know how hard it can be the parent of choice. You are the blogging queen! YOu inspire me!

Jen said...

She will eventually outgrow the stranger danger. You need to find a couple of REALLY good friends who will keep Madi for you and let her cry it out. It may get worse before it gets better, but the more you make her get outside of her comfort zone, the better it will be for all of you! There's my two cents (even though I'm sure you didn't want it!) We hated making our babies cry, but sometimes there's just no other option! I love watching kids learn to walk. It's so cute and wobbly! Before you know it, she'll be RUNNING around the house and you will never catch a break! Big kisses to you both! LOVE YOU TONS!

The Pickled Red Herring said...

Oh man, I remember that check-up with Kate. It was definitely the worst. (They got better after that.) I didn't take her seriously enough about those shots - they really WERE painful! She had a huge lump where she was injected for the next MONTH. Not kidding. Poor Madi! Kiss her for us!

martyrudd said...

Oh Madi girl...gram loves you sooo much. What a doll baby and her walking is coming along great. Like I've told you....She's clingy, just like her mother was!!
xoxoMOM

Anonymous said...

I'm not quite sure exactly what Madi's personality is like right now, but these pictures give me a good idea of what she is like. Hunter is going to love her (even more)!

Anonymous said...

Is it normal that I just want to take that baby of yours and squeeeeeze her!?! Gosh she is soooo cute! I LOVE the black and white picture of you two...definitely frame-able. Thinking of you!

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

She is such a cute girl! I can't believe how big she is already! Hmmm, the clingy stage does eventually end, but not completely!!!!! Lucas still prefers me quite a bit of the time! Except when he's in trouble with me...then he tries to butter up Daddy! :)

I'm glad you guys are home and safe!

Unknown said...

this is soooo cute!!!!
i love your baby girl!!

Cothran Family said...

She is so cute anie. So bummed we missed you too. I hate knowing little ones I love are growing up so fast somewhere else. Love you guys