Spencer, Madi, and I just returned home from Murrieta where we spent our last weekend here in Southern California. Madi and I drove down Friday morning with mom, dad, and Jocelyn while Spencer met us there after work. On our way down we stopped off in Pasadena to go to the Huntington library, art collections, and botanical gardens. I've only been there once before with my sister and nephew, but absolutely loved it! If we had ended up living in Southern California I had planned on getting a membership there. So naturally I was excited to go again, especially with Madi along. While the library and art collections weren't all that exciting for Madi or I, the gardens were breath taking. There are more than a dozen gardens that cover 120 acres of the 207-acre ground. My favorites were the Japanese, Chinese, Jungle, and especially the Children's Garden. The Teaching Greenhouse was incredible with hands-on discovery centers. Madi was in awe with all the things to see and touch. The tropical rainforest was in one of the greenhouses and helped give me a glimpse of what living in DC this summer would have felt like. I was dripping after about 20 minutes of being inside! But it sure was worth all the amazing plants we got to see.
Madi and Grandpa Al cooled off in the mist at the Children's Garden. We were soaked after 2 or 3 times of standing under the misters.
After Huntington Gardens, we headed on to Murrieta where Spencer's sister, brother-in-law, and kids live. Unfortunately they were in Utah for the weekend, so we didn't get to hang out with them. Saturday morning we were up early and after Madi's morning nap we headed off to San Diego to spend the day at Sea World! Spencer and I have both been before but it was a LONG time ago. We mostly just wanted Madi to have a great experience- and what an experience she had! Here's our front row, "soak zone" seats that we had at the Shamu show!
Madi loved seeing the whales and dolphins, but at times would get super nervous and snuggle up close. Yes, I got TONS of hugs throughout the day! No complaints here!!
We didn't go on any of the rides, but mom, dad, and Jocelyn were patient enough to wait over 2 hours to ride the Shipwrek Rapids! Luckily, they had less of a wait in the evening when the crowds weren't as bad.
Other favorites include touching the Bat Rays and the "Pet's Rule" show!
Of all the shows we went to see, the Sesame Street show was Madi's all time favorite! It even beat the "Pet's Rule" show which surprised me. Funny, because she has only watched Sesame Street a handful of times, but I think it's going to become a MUST watch when we return home. As the characters came out to perform, Madi kept squealing, jumping up and down in our arms, and kicking her legs. She was happy to have daddy give her a better view from his shoulders!
At the end of the day Madi was exhausted and ready to go home. Pendleton has a way of calming Madi down. We made sure to keep him on hand throughout the day!
Despite the crowds, long lines, and overpriced food (ya, amusement parks are not a favorite thing of mine) it was a great day! We mostly just enjoyed attending the shows and spending time with the family! Thanks mom, dad, and Jocelyn for the fun weekend!!
4 comments:
I can't wait to take Hannah and Gavin to Sea World. We are planning our trip for the end of September; after school starts. Hannah saw a commercial for Sea World. She said, "I want to go to Sea World and hold a baby whale!" The Sesame Street show looked amazing! Madi looked like she LOVED everything. She is so cute!
Can you email me? socalee@hotmail.com
So sad that you're fun summer has come to an end!! I guess I'm not that sad because I get to see you guys in 2 short days. Yay!!!!!
IM SOOOOOOO jealous! SEA WORLD!!!!!!!!! How FUN for Madi! (and you guys!!!) Dang! I wish I was in Cali with you guys!!!!! Dont i say that in every comment? I really MEAN IT! Oh and Anie Youre lookin TAN!!!! Soak it up while you can! theres no way to get tan here. Even if youre out side everday!!!! Only 7 more weeks till Lexi and Madi can have a play date!!! YEY! Oh and were looking forward to wagon rides with Madi too! I think we could fit Kate and Brooklyn in there too!
Hey Anie. Sorry I missed you guys at the 10 year. We were on vacation. Email me some time and we can catch up. It looks like you have a beautiful family.
April Rood (Hertz)
rood98@msn.com
Post a Comment