Growing up, my family always spent every Thanksgiving holiday in Ontario, Oregon with both sets of grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins (60+). I have such fond memories of sleeping at Grandma and Grandpa's, hanging out with cousins, eating more rolls, mashed potatoes, and desserts than my stomach could handle, preparing and delivering some knock-out performances at the Butler family talent shows, and smashing into huge candy-filled pinatas.
But then I grew up, got married, moved away, became an adult, and Thanksgiving took on a whole other meaning. Spending the day cooking in the kitchen is not my idea of fun. Let's just say, Thanksgiving is not my favorite holiday. But, aside from the things I don't like about Thanksgiving (spending the majority of the day cooking foods I don't even really like, eating all day long, and them feeling like I've gained 10 pounds), I've decided the holiday is really about what you make of it. The best part about Thanksgiving is getting to spend time as a family. This year, Spencer took off Wednesday, so we had an entire 5 day family vacation! It was awesome. But to make it even better, we decided to drive down to North Carolina and spend the weekend with the Calhoun's. It was fabulous getting to hang out with my sister and let my girls hang out with their cousins. It was fun feeling like I was creating memories for my girls like the memories I had as a little girl. We might not have had a pinata (but two years ago we did) or a talent show (I think we should start doing this Tish), but we sure had a complete blast being together!!

Taken Sunday morning just as we were about to leave. Elle wasn't feeling good and was having kind of a rough morning.
Just a few of the weekend highlights:
- Thanksgiving morning trip to Bojangles for Boberry Biscuits (every time we go to North Carolina, we see the billboards for Bojangles and Spencer always says that "this trip, we're going to Bojangles." Well, he finally got his wish! Thanksgiving morning, Curteis and Spencer piled the kids into the car for a Bojangles run.
- A delicious Thanksgiving feast. Spencer even fell in love with sweet potatoes-thanks to the Calhoun secret recipe! And Tisha seriously thought of everything, from the decorations, to place settings, to ways of simplifying the cooking.
- Little to no arguing between siblings or cousins (you might remember the arguments I documented in this post).
- Kayaking (Spencer and Curteis)
- Morning runs with Tisha
-Nature hikes for the older kids with their dads- complete with log walking and rope swinging (see video below of Madi's bravery)
- A backyard for the kids to play outside for hours. Madi loves exploring- it'll be so nice the day we finally get a place with a big backyard!
- Museum of Natural History (loved this)
- Riding the zip line out at Will and Pargie's (see below videos)
- Black Friday Shopping ONLINE!
- Hanging out with the Gertschs until 1AM!! (Thanks for the awesome visit Matt and Doreen. We've sure missed hanging out with you guys.)
- Three nights of hanging out with Tisha and Curteis
Our Thanksgiving table

Tisha's cute name settings


The adult table

The kids table

Elle loved playing with Sam. At just 9 months old, Sam is as tall as Elle and weighs 2 or 3 pounds more!

The zip line- Madi insisted on going first of the kids. Here she is getting harnessed in.

The pull back. . .

And the LET GO!
The tricky part was at the end when Madi was supposed to throw the rope down for Spencer to pull her back in. The rope got stuck around her leg and Madi wasn't able to shake it off her arm. She was flipping out and Spencer was yelling to get her to let go of the harness and untangle the rope, but luckily a few of us remained calm. I suggested trying to reach the rope with a long stick which worked and Spencer was able to pull Madi back to safety. Once she was unharnessed, Madi excitedly talked about her fun on the zip line and I'm sure she'll go again on our next trip to NC.


ME on the zip line!
Madi braving the rope swing across the stream.
Thanks again Calhouns for the awesome Thanksgiving weekend! We love you guys!
9 comments:
Your sisters table looks very festive! Love the name cards too. Way to go Madi on swinging down the zip line and over the creek! Looks like ya'll had lots of fun!
Love the table. Love the place cards. Love the pictures. HATE that I wasn't there to enjoy thanksgiving with my sisters! I can't believe how brave Madi is. There's no way Ava would do that! And I laughed so hard at the one of you on the zip line! love it! Glad you all had a happy thanksgiving!
Glad to see Spencer didnt leave you hanging there on the zip line :)
oh my gosh Anie that looks so much fun!!! So glad you guys got to be together for Thanksgiving.
Looks like a fun Thanksgiving. I really like the kid and adult table. I was so scared to do the zip line. I can't believe Madi did it. Miss you guys.
I can't believe Clark just wrote that. We had to sit at a kids table for Thanksgiving at my sister's house a few years ago, no room at the adult table, and he was totally upset by the whole thing. Being the youngest, I always sat at the kids table so it wasn't a big deal. But apparently he never did.
Anyway, what a FUN FUN thanksgiving get together. We really miss you guys. Just wish we could all hang out. And HELLO!! Never seen or done the zip line but the picture of Madi above Spencer....CAN'T believe it!! Poor girl with the rope caught and everything. She is so brave. Tell her that for me. Love you guys. xoxo
You are so on top of things Anie! I WILL get my Thanksgiving post up before Christmas! haha We're SO glad we got a whole night with you guys. And guess what, the day after you guys came we went to the store and bought 6 decks of cards. We stashed 4 of them in our car arm rest so we'll never be without cards when we're with you guys again! (I got all 6 packs for $2.38 with coupon btw). I wish I would've thought of doing this BEFORE though.
Madi, you are so brave! I am so proud of you on the Zipline AND the rope swing! We are both proud of your mama to ride the zipline aren't we! Love you Papa
i love it ALL!!! i have GOT to get down there. flights on southwest are only $50-$60! or a weekend getaway up here??
you and tish should come!!
LOVE, em
Post a Comment