Yesterday marked our first week without Spencer. I survived- my first earthquake, hurricane (if you'd call it that) and all! And it was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. Just knowing that Spencer wouldn't be coming home, and that I was the only one in charge, made me get in and get things done. I was super strict about bedtime- not a night later than 7 pm. That was the key to my sanity! I love my alone time and needed every minute I got of it. I did miss my Spencer time though- it's the time I look forward to every night- once the kids are in bed and we can just talk (without being interrupted every 5 seconds). The three hour time difference is a killer though, cause by the time Spencer was up and going in the morning (7am- 10am our time) we were usually heading off on our first outing of the day. Then by the time he left work it was almost 9:30pm our time- the kids were long asleep, and I was usually on my way.
But hands down, the hardest thing for me has been to hear Elle cry for her dad. He's the first person she asks for every morning and the last person she cries for at night. It breaks my heart. I think she's finally understanding that he isn't just living at work. At first she'd tell me, "Daddy's at work." or "Daddy's in a meeting."
Then it became more of a demand to see Spencer, "I wanna see my daddy. Where's my daddy?" "I miss my daddy."
And now that she's finally got the idea that Spencer's working in California it's, "I miss my daddy. I miss him so much. I wanna go pick him up right now!"
Luckily we've been able to skype several times and talk on the phone a couple times every day. But we're definitely excited about seeing Spencer this coming Saturday- and being able to play for an entire week together!
As for Spencer- he started at his new firm on Wednesday and is loving it already. On his first day, he was given a pile nearly two feet tall of cases, statutes, and articles to read to get him up to speed. He's been making steady progress. One of the things that attracted him to this firm was the opportunity to do significantly more trial work. Well, he got his wish...he has his first court call this Tuesday. And they trust him enough to argue the hearing on his own!! He's a little nervous but very excited for these kind of opportunities! A major perk is how close we will live to the office. From Camarillo, he can make it into the office in about 11 minutes. No more hour long commutes every morning and evening! His office is pretty nice, too. He's on the 14th floor and has an unobstructed view of the ocean and Anacapa and Santa Cruz islands! So whenever I want to go to the beach, I can give Spencer a call and ask him for a report on beach conditions.
2 comments:
We would always call Dad for beach day conditions, too! Seems to run in the family :)
Oh, that sweet Elle missing her dad! I feel for her. Saturday will be here before she knows it!!!
Post a Comment