Monday, September 5, 2011

Change of plans

Back in July- before we knew we were going to move, before life got especially crazy, before we were thinking about hurricanes, we planned a trip to the Outer Banks. Spencer and I had been wanting to get away with the girls. So we, along with some other friends, booked a gorgeous 6 bedroom beach house in Avon, NC (on Hatteras Island) for the week of Labor Day. We were beyond excited. We'd planned out our meals for week, the outings we wanted to go on, daily crafts for the kids, and nightly activities for everyone. But then Hurricane Irene made landfall directly on Hatteras Island. We were hopeful at first, but then completely crushed when we saw pictures of Highway 12 . . . all in pieces. The home was ok, but there was no way to get to it! But I really have to stop there cause I don't want to further depress myself by talking about it anymore. Since our fabulous vacation was now out of the picture, and Spencer was still flying in Saturday morning for the week, we were racking our brains as to what to do instead. Spencer suggested Williamsburg, VA and I quickly got on to check out the availability at my parents timeshare to find that there was one unit left for the days we wanted to go. So I booked it! It may not be a week on the sandy beaches of North Carolina, but we're excited and we're looking forward to a fabulous three day vacation!

Since we don't leave until tomorrow, we got to spend some much needed family time here at home the past 2 days. The girls were bursting with excitement Saturday morning when we got to the airport to pick up Spencer- you would have thought it was Christmas morning. We spent a lazy day here at home. On Sunday we went to the temple and spent some time walking around the temple grounds and visitors center.

Then today we hit up Homestead Farms for our annual apple picking! I was so glad that Spencer got to join us for this. It really is beautiful out there in the country. The girls loved every minute of it- especially the animals. At first the cow was laying down but later he got up and we were able to feed it a bunch of grass. We also pet the sheep and goats and saw chickens, a turkey, and ducks.

After hanging out with the animals we headed out to the fields.

Madi was a great apple picker.

Elle was a great apple taster!

We didn't get a ton of apples- I have no plans of doing anything fancy with them - but we will definitely enjoy eating them! The apples (fuji and honey crisp) are DE-LIC-IOUS!! I've always been an apple lover and having my bottom fridge drawer stocked with apples makes me oh so very happy! By the end of picking, both girls were exhausted, leaving Spencer with the lovely job of hauling girls and apples back to the car.
This is one thing I'm definitely going to miss doing next year. I love everything about the fall on the east coast, but apple picking is one of my favorites!

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Dont worry there will be plenty of oranges to pick for fresh "liquid gold" at Owie and Boppi's!!

Tisha said...

how fun! the girls look gorgeous those cute dresses in the temple pick! can't wait for our girls weekend!

Safire said...

We were wondering where you were going to go instead! Looks like you had a nice low key day and then off on an adventure!