Friday, October 28, 2011

Back to School!


Madi started back to school yesterday with her first day at her second preschool of the year. And I'm happy to say that we found a great one!! I loved Madi's Presbyterian preschool back in MD. Her teacher was wonderful and I loved knowing her little buddy Owen was in her class. We payed $185 a month for 3 mornings a week (9-11:30am). Sadly, Madi only got to go for 9 days before we made our big move. When we got here to CA, I had one preschool lined up to check out (one that one comparable in price to what we payed in MD), but after visiting the school I wasn't completely happy. Then after talking to Lindesy Bell and hearing all about the preschool that Brooklyn goes to, I wanted to get Madi on the list. It's a state funded program called PEEP, run out of one of the elementary schools here. It's primarily for kids with slow speech development. They have "typical" kids mixed into the class to help promote good speech skills in the other kids. Madi would be one of the "typical" kids. Not only is it a great program, but the tuition is only $40 a month!! Can't beat that!

When I called the director, there was an actually an opening in the autistic class (very mild autism). It was a class with 7 boys and the teacher wanted a girl! Originally I was a little nervous about putting Madi in a class with only boys, but when I went into the class to observe, I really liked what I saw and realized it wouldn't be a big deal. So next, Madi was brought in for a trial run (just to make sure it was a good fit). Madi had a great time! So I filled out all the paperwork, dropped it off the next day, and Madi started the day after. And so far so good! I'm pretty sure this is going to be a fabulous experience.

Madi goes 5 days a week from 12-3pm which is perfect since that's the block of time we're always home for Elle to get a nap in. Madi's entertained, Elle naps, and I get a break!!! Win-win-win!! Today I took a nap, sat out in the glorious sunshine, read from my book, and then typed up this post! I'm definitely gonna get used to this preschool time!

2 comments:

The Days of your Life said...

Way to go! I am glad things are working out for you! We love you and miss you! My nephew is in a similar program where he is the child like Maddie and they love it. Take care and big hugs!

tylerandmommy said...

I bet Madi is going to be a great influence on the other kids. I hope it all works out well!