Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Week One

It's already been one week since Calvin joined our family. And I must say- it flew by WAY too fast! The first week of life with a newborn is always so magical for me.

We brought Calvin home from the hospital on his second day of life and have been enjoying every minute with him since. The girls have been surprisingly wonderful with him. They pretty much just do their normal thing, but then want to stop and adore him each time they walk by- saying something about how cute and/or sweet he is. I thought Elle was going to be more hands on- wanting to hold him, touch him, change diapers, etc. But she's just super gentle. She'll lay on her tummy next to him and quietly talk to him, sing him a song, or read him a story and then give a little kiss. It's the sweetest thing to watch.

Madi's a lot like how she was with Elle- in love, but wanting to touch his eyes and face. For some reason that totally bugs me. But Madi is a huge helper- great with holding him, bringing diapers, wipes, blankets, clothes etc.

This first week home with Cal has definitely been the honeymoon stage. I'm madly in love, everything seems super easy, I feel great, and reality hasn't hit yet! :) He's so super snuggly, has that heavenly newborn smell, makes the cutest faces, rarely cries (only when getting a diaper change), and is adored by everyone!

As for what we've been up to these past couple days . . .

Day 3: Spencer went to work Friday afternoon and Mom spent the day with the girls. I don't even remember everything they did now, but luckily I found some pictures in my camera . . .
Madi's hair salon

Easter cookie making and decorating

And always dealing with some type of craziness!

It was so wonderful to have my mom here to keep the girls entertained and out of trouble.

As for Cal, he spent a lot of time in the sunshine of windows because we thought he might have jaundice.

Day 4: Saturday was a super relaxing day spent at home watching General Conference. The girls did great with their coloring sheets and bingo boards. In between sessions we had a little egg hunt for them. Then they got to eat all their candy- something we never allow! The girls were in heaven! And Cal slept through it all.

Day 5: Gram left early Sunday morning after spending 6 full days taking care of us. We miss her already! Then Boppi and Grandpa Al came over for morning session of conference. Less than a minute after they arrived someone else knocked on the door . . . we were surprised with a special visit from Aunt Lindsay who had been playing in San Diego with girl friends! It was such a fabulous surprise! We taped morning session of conference and watched it the next day so that we could have breakfast and visit with Lindsay. Thanks Linds for the FUN surprise!

Sunday night my good friend Lauren brought over dinner- "nursing mother's soup" as she calls it, which is hands down the best soup I've ever had. I gotta get the recipe.

Day 6: Spencer took Monday off work. He and the girls hit up Costco in the morning, followed by nugets, ice cream, and playing at McDonalds. Then after their quiet time, they rode their bikes over to the park. They got home in time for baths and dinner (lasagna and salad brought in from a sister in the ward). Spencer did scriptures and bed time Monday night while I took Cal in to get checked for jaundice. I had a feeling he was fine and didn't need to be looked at, but now we can have that peace of mind that he's totally fine and doesn't need to spend every minute by a window.

Day 7: ONE WEEK OLD! Spencer stayed home in the morning- didn't leave for work until almost noon. Then Boppi came over around 2pm and picked the girls up for a sleepover at her house. The girls we were super excited and very hyper! They've seemed to be going stir crazy here at home but I can't figure out why since they've done fun stuff every single day. Maybe it's the not getting enough attention from me that's making them crazy. I'm looking forward to next week, for Madi to be back in school and our schedule back to normal. I sure love my little girls, but I have to admit- it was awesome to have a night free of drama, melt downs, arguments, and the regular bedtime routine. BIG thanks to my wonderful in-laws for giving Spencer and I a nice relaxing, peaceful evening. Spencer got home from work at 5:30pm, we had a quiet dinner, and then took Calvin out on his first walk.
And I'm pretty sure he liked it- check out that cute little smirk he's got on his face!

I always feel this need to document everything with a newborn baby- for fear of forgetting something. I want Calvin to know how incredibly in love we all are with him and how oh so very happy we are to have him in our family!

6 comments:

Julie Dalley said...

oh goodness he is so lovely! you're so lovely, and the girls are so lovely! I love his adorable face. He definitely makes me want a little boy!! Anie, you are seriously such an amazing mom...I miss you! Please give your family my love and kisses. xoxo
When we come to California, we are going to visit you!! It's been way too long. thanks for always posting about your little ones..I love it

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

Sheesh, you're making me a little baby hungry! I don't think that has ever happened to me before. (Don't tell Clint)! ;-) My baby is 8 months already! I love all of the pics with Calvin and the girls.

Popi and CeCe said...

Congratulations to the entire Jenkins family! Calvin is devine--I love his name, and he is too adorable! I am happy everything has gone so well for all of you. The girls are precious, it is fun how they are so helpful! 3 babies--you are busy! Enjoy it all Anie!
Cheryl

martyrudd said...

Thanks for the shout out, Anie:) I love spending time with the babies and miss them when I get home. In these pictures Calvin doesn't look like the girls...just his own handsome self. xoxoxMOM/Gram
PS...using Karlee's computer in Rexburg

Stacy said...

I just read it all...and I love it! You're such a great blogger (as I'm saying that to Scott he tells me I should take notes:) Calvin is absolutely precious in every way! Thank you for sharing all the beautiful details. I want to love him and snuggle him...so sad you're on the other side of the country. Tell everyone hi for us! You have such an amazing family, a darling husband and a super-hero mother (aren't mom's the best!?!) We miss you guys every day:) All my love!!!

sylvia said...

Congratulations Anie and Spencer! Calvin is absolutely perfect. So happy for you guys!