Friday, October 12, 2012

Parenting

While talking on the phone with my sister the other day, she reminded me of a blog that we both know and love. I hadn't read this particular blog for awhile, so after Tish and I's conversation I got on to check out it out again. And now I'm obsessed. I can't stop reading - recent posts, old posts, the links that she includes in each post, etc. All her ideas under "concrete mothering" are fabulous! I plan on copying many of them! After reading one particular post, I remembered that I'd been wanting to read her mom(Linda Eyre)'s book: "I didn't Plan to Be a Witch" as well as the "The Entitlement Trap" (authored by both her parents). So I got onto Amazon and ordered both right then.

If you can't tell, along with reading Shawni's blog, I'm also currently obsessed with getting parenting tips and ideas. Some lady stopped me in the parking lot of Vons the other morning to tell me what a terrible mom I was being - allowing my child to stand up in the shopping cart while I loaded groceries into the car. She told me my kids were going to end up in the hospital. And then, when I simply brushed off her comment (mostly cause I was in a hurry and still in shock that she was being rude to me), she goes on to say how I must not love my children! How DARE her! I stopped her right there, said something about not only loving my children, but also knowing them better than anyone (meaning how cautious they are and how Elle would not be one to do anything crazy in the shopping cart). Then while driving away (completely fuming and still a bit in shock that this just happened), I sat and thought up all the things I wish I would have said to that lady.

I spend almost every waking moment doing something with and/or for my kids. And when I'm not doing something for them, I'm thinking about then, cleaning up after them, writing about them, and/or editing/posting pictures of them. My kids are my life. I take my job as a mom very seriously! I'm constantly evaluating how I'm doing as a mom, and then making goals to help me in my areas of weakness. Of course I've got a long way to go, and TONS of stuff I know I need to work on, but I'm trying.

Actually, a good friend in my ward just organized a parenting class (free baby-sitting included) for all us moms in the area who want a little help, motivation, support, or maybe just some reminding. We had our first class (of an 8 week course) this past Tuesday. It was great! We were instructed to take notes, then to SHARE and APPLY. I figure if I type it up on my blog, I won't forget it. So for sake of sharing...

We talked about how to make our homes a house of order, cause it's hard to nurture if your home isn't in order. But don't strive for perfection, strive for PROGRESS! We talked about the busyness of life and how out of all activities, we need to keep three things as our highest priority:
1) Family Home Evening
2) Family Prayer
3) Family Scripture Study

Sometimes it's tempting to let these three activities slide, especially when life gets busy (I can only imagine how hard it's gonna be when my kids get older), but we were reminded that they don't have to be a huge ordeal. This made me feel better, cause our family home evening many weeks is simply throwing a song and thought onto our usual nightly routine of stories, scriptures, and family prayer.

We also talked about 1) establishing routines, 2) Getting the family home (I know this will get harder as they get older and are involved in several activities a piece) 3) Having a positive, happy tone when the kids walk in the door (as opposed to yelling at them to take their shoes off, get jobs door, do homework, etc). 4) Getting rid of electronics (so glad Spencer's as opposed to gaming systems as I am) and collecting phones once they walk in the door (totally agree on this one- too many kids no longer know how to carry on regular conversations cause they've always got their electronic devise in hand). 5) Making sure we're living the principles we're trying to teach our kids

Other things:
- Teach at eye level (get down there when you want to have a conversation with them)
- Lots of hugs and soft touches
- Ask questions, then LISTEN to their answers
- Use teaching moments (bedtime and dinner table is great for this)
- Support each other on activities (go to each others games, concerts, performances, events, etc)

"No other work reaches so close to divinity as does the nurturing of the sons and daughters of God." -President Hinckley

5 comments:

Doreen said...

People like that one lady either don't have any kids, or are old enough to not have had kids living with them for a long time that they don't remember what it was like having kids. Those crazy ladies drive me NUTS. This doesn't even need to be said because it's already a known fact that you are a GREAT mom. Any kid that comes to your family is blessed forever because of YOU...and Spencer :) I wish I was there with you when that lady said something to you....grrrr!!!

Summer said...

I had also forgotten about that blog (which is awesome!) so thanks for the reminder to check it out again :)

Anie, you are SUCH a great mom and anyone who knows you knows you dedicate your life to being the best mother you can be! You are such an inspiration and example to me (and many other ladies, I'm sure) so don't let that judgmental lady get you down - she's not worth your time. Just keep being awesome!

Dan and Bec said...

Sorry about the rude woman! Sooo not needed and sooo not true!
When I went to SVU Women's Conference last year the Eyre's spoke. I loved all they had to say!
You are a great mom!

The Pickled Red Herring said...

What? WHAT???? I would like to add a third probability to Doreen's analysis - that woman is herself a terrible mom who doesn't love her kids and is insecure about it so she feels like it will make her feel better if she goes out on a hunt for people to tear down. That is RIDICULOUS! We all fondly refer to you as "Super Mom" because you are the one who always has it all together and you DO do everything for or with your kids! GRRR that makes me spitting mad! I am on the warpath!

JoSue said...

Oh I so wish I could come be a part of that parenting class. Such a great idea. Something I might be interested in putting together. Take good notes and let me know how it's all put together.

I think we need to have a parenting class at the family reunion. Not just sitting around and talking but something that is focused with an agenda. :)

I empathize with you so much Anie. I think we need to plan a phone call so we can talk, catch up, and commiserate. I have the same weaknesses, guilt, remade goals, impatience with fighting children, fatigue, etc... I just told my mom last night, I don't want to wish this stage away but the daily challenges are sometimes too much. I'm interested in that book, "I didn't mean to be a witch." I won't buy it until you give me a review though. Seriously, I sure wish me and Tish lived on your street so we could all help each other get through these crazy days. :)

I'm sorry that lady but such a jerk. No matter how hard you try, comments like that are hard to forget. Hopefully you can remember the good ones too! Love you. xoxo