Back in February (little behind on this one) Madi was the "Star of the Week" in her kindergarten class. She was so excited! She was given an "All About Madilyn" poster which got to hang in the classroom for the week (and now hangs above her bed). She also got to take "Q Bear" home for the weekend and fill a jar up with a favorite thing for the class to guess how many items were in the jar. We chose to put in hair clips (cause we've got a few.... :)
It's hard to see, but Madi's poster reads:I am 5 1/5 years old
My favorite color is: purple
My favorite animal is: a lamb
My favorite food is: blueberry sprinkle mufffins
The temple is my favorite place.
When I grow up I want to be a scientist.
My favorite thing is do is art
If I had one wish, I would wish for: a trip to Disneyland with mom and dad
(and actually the very next day was the day we surprised the girls with a trip to Disneyland)!
Having Q Bear around for the weekend was a treat and we made sure it was a good time:
Q shaped pancakes for breakfast
Fun on the trampoline at Boppi and Grandpa Al's
An exploring adventure of some sort.
At church - Madi and her friend Lily.
Then one week after Star of the Week, Madi was chosen to be spotlighted in primary. As I was giving my counselor the info to spotlight, I realized how much I have not yet recorded about Madi on my blog. I've been meaning to do an update for months now, so here it goes (it's a long one):
Madi loves making lists and writes everything down- I'd be shocked if she's not a fabulous journal keeper/blogger in the future. An extreme example: we were playing a game of Candy Land and Madi had to write down the name of the person who was in the lead at each turn (got pretty annoying though and was slowing the game down so I had to stop her). She does currently have a journal but doesn't write on a regular basis yet.
The other day she came home and was complaining about her "terrible day." In trying to figure out the root of the problem I suggested she make a list in her journal of all the bad things that happened and then all the good things. Her list:
I came to the conclusion that her "bad day" stemmed from doing a page of homework wrong and then had to redo it during "Tag Time" at school. Madi wasn't bummed about missing tag time, but she was devastated that Mrs. Newton made her cross out the incorrect number sentence in marker before rewriting the correct one! Luckily, Madi had some good things that had happened that day- like painting a picture of a tulip, giving Mrs. Newton a present (it was her birthday), and eating a cookie after school (it was crushing me to see Madi so bummed out over something so little, so we made cookies).
Another list- her schedule for the week (which she insisted on making a calendar for so she wouldn't forget all the "many" things she has going on):
She also constantly leaves notes around the house: notes reminding Elle not to make a mess at the art table while Madi's at school, notes to thank me for things, notes to remind us about stuff. The other day I found a really nice letter written to the tooth fairy (she has yet to loose a tooth and I think is getting anxious). I liked this note I found on my bed a couple weeks ago:
Madi loves making books and writing stories and her pictures just keep getting better and better. On Sunday she drew a picture of "Our Eternal Family." Along with our family, she included an eternal family of butterflies, an eternal family of ladybugs, caterpillars, birds, and even moths. It was awesome! I'll have to include a picture of it on here when I get it back.
Her most recent book:
Drawing pictures is her solution for everything. Someones hurt - draw a picture! It's someones birthday- draw them a picture. Someone's sad - draw them a picture! It's really sweet and I love how much time and thought she puts into her drawings.
It's such a treat for me to see the different personalities of our kids. When Madi was little, and an only child, I naturally thought her personality was the norm. Boy was I wrong! I've come to learn what a unique personality Madi has.
Take for instance, her incredible will power - I know of no other child that when given treats and candy, will save it and never EVER eat it! Just like when she was a toddler, Madi still only eats little bits of food. If she's given a cookie, she'll eat half and then save the other half for later. She's great at listening to her stomach and stopping when she's full, even when there's a big bowl of ice cream in front of her!
She's a big saver and likes to keep things nice. Most kids, when given something, will use it up or wear it out. Madi will put it away in a special spot and keep it nice forever.
She's quite brave- aside from being able to sing in front of hundreds without a sweat, she also has no problem asking grown-ups for help. Almost every trip to the library she'll ask the librarian for help finding a specific book she's looking for.
Making friends doesn't come that easy for Madi. She's actually more quiet and reserved at school and often plays alone at recess and lunch (so she tells me). She's a one friend kinda girl, and is fiercely loyal to that friend. This was a hard thing for me at the beginning of the year. Everyday after school I'd ask Madi who she played with. I think it was stressing her out feeling like she had to find someone to play with everyday. One particular day she was all worked up and informed me that every time she would talk to someone, they'd just run off. In the midst of her venting, she tells me, "I'm gonna start making a list of all the people who walk away from me!" So sad. Then she made a really good friend, even had a few after school play dates. But like most kids, this friend wanted to play with other kids at school- not just with Madi. Madi was crushed about this and since then we've had many conversations about making new friends. We set goals about playing with someone new everyday. She'd make lists of who she played with and who she wanted to play with, but then that got old. Now I've just embraced the fact that kids play alone at school (I know my daughter's not the only one) and that's ok! Instead of asking who she played with, I now ask what she played at recess and lunch.
This whole friend dilemma really had Madi all worked up and mid year she started having terrible stomach aches (I think it started when her favorite friend told her she wanted to play with other people). Madi's a big worrier and these tummy problems really began to affect her. Thankfully my dad had the perfect solution for her tummy issues (he's dealt with a few kids with the exact same thing). He made Madi a penny necklace and included a nice letter explaining the "magic" of the necklace. I tell ya, this necklace was heaven sent! Solved all her stomach issues! You're the best dad!
Luckily Madi always has Elle. They truly are best friends and do everything together.
Madilyn has an incredible testimony of the gospel. She loves watching Mormon Messages and reading The Friend magazine. She's totally self motivated and after reading and/or hearing about something inspiring, Madi will run to her journal and make a plan for what she's going to do to improve.
She listens intently during scripture reading and always has a gazillion questions about who's who -who's bad, who's good and why. The other day Elle wasn't feeling well (we thought maybe it was a bladder infection). Madi was really concerned about her sister and this "infection." My plan was to take Elle to the doctor in the morning. Miraculously, the next morning Elle woke up and felt so much better. When hearing the good news, Madi sat up in bed, totally elated and exclaims, "I said TWO prayers for her last night!" Oh, the power the prayer!
Madilyn has a huge heart and loves to please.
I was upset with her one night- for stalling at bedtime. She came back in the room after I'd given her instructions to go put some things away. Then I ask her if she's already said her personal prayers and she tells me, "I said one for you."
As humbling as it is, I appreciate Madi's reminders to not get angry or upset about the little things.
As you might have noticed in pictures, Madi loves wearing skirts and/or dresses. It drives Spencer and I absolutely crazy. This morning Spencer was actually bribing Madi with money to wear khaki shorts to school. He lost. She despises shorts and won't even wear "biker shorts" under her skirts anymore. She prefers leggings. I never realized girls would be so exhausting!
Madi (who actually told me she would prefer to be called Madilyn- because she doesn't like how her name sounds like MAD) is very kind and thoughtful and always tries to choose the right!
Here's Madi with her Hollywood star- given after singing at the big dinner/auction fundraiser awhile back:
Sure love you Madilyn Kaye!! You're definitely a star in our eyes!!















3 comments:
Oh Yes...and she's sure a star in the eyes of her Gram. I love you Madi girl...to the moon and back!! xoxox
I love hearing all these fun things about Miss Madilyn! Especially since we live so far away. On my school spotlight (can't remember the grade) my wish was to be an aunt- and it came true! So glad that Madilyn got her wish too :) Miss you guys!!
Oh my goodness, will your dad make ME a magic penny necklace? I sure need one sometimes! That is so adorable! She is growing up so fast! You are so good at chronicling everything. I feel like it is all whipping by me so fast I am just a leaf in the whirlwind - forget catching a single moment of anything!
Post a Comment