Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Rudd Family Reunion

Las Vegas, NV 
July 18 - July 25, 2013

Another Rudd family reunion down in the books and it was an absolute blast!! I feel so very lucky to be part of this amazing family. Our entire week was planned and organized to a "T." Clark and Jo were in charge this year and they planned so many fun games and activities - every day was a party! 

Prior to the reunion a 4 page email was sent out with a schedule for the week, food and activity assignments, a packing list, and specific reminders for each family (I love how the majority of my family thrives off of structure and organization)! Then each day a white board with the schedule and assignments for the day was displayed in the kitchen/family room area. I didn't realize how much my kids loved having this schedule up until we got home and Madi immediately got out a white board and wrote the next days schedule on it (thinking I'll be starting something like this in the near future when kids get older and there's so many activities to keep track of). 

The first day we all arrived was dad's birthday, so that evening was dedicated to him. We each went around and shared stories and/or memorable moments with dad. 
And what's a birthday celebration without dad's favorite butterscotch dessert (with trick candles)!

Friday morning the swimming began! My kids were beyond excited to have our very own pool in our backyard and we were out there every morning before 8am! And the BEST part about having a pool was that by day 3 Madi was totally swimming all on her own- underwater, no nose plugged, just swimming! So proud of her for conquering her fears!


Even Grandpa got in on the pool action!

One morning it was even chilly enough to get in the hot tub.

The majority of the morning the pool was the hoppin place, but once 10:30am hit most of the kids were getting out, drying off, and heading in for snacks, crafts, legos, dress-up, and naps. Gram's dress-up box was a huge hit! Madi always seemed to have on some sort of costume.
Madi and Ani, best cousins- just 2 months apart!
Snow princess costume and crown on during story time.
While each family was to prepare one art project for the week, Mom also brought along all of her craft stuff so that the kids could always be doing arts and crafts. And we all took advantage of glitter nails done by Amy!

A few of the other crafts done throughout the week:
Monster making
All about me collages
There was always a good amount of adults ready and willing to help!
ornament making

Minute to win it challenges were also being done throughout the day. Clark and Jo would introduce  new challenges the night before and we'd have all day to perfect our score.

One of my favorite things about the week was that there was always someone to read to, play with, adore, snuggle, eat with, or laugh at. I dealt with very little behavior problems cause there was always someone to play with, something going on, or someone else around that would make it better.

It was also kind of hard to have misbehavior with an incentive system like we had for the week. Kids were awarded a ticket each time they were caught doing something good. Then they cashed in their tickets at the end of the day for treats or prizes.
All the kids usually chose the candy drawers to cash in their tickets, except for Madi - she always wanted to pick out something from the prize box. This system was golden though. We always had several kids ready and willing to pick up toys, clean off tables, wash windows, help with a younger kid, etc. It was awesome!
Madi showing off some of her prizes- glasses and a gummi ring!

A house full of 16 adults, and 11 kids made for a lot of chaos though! I had to laugh one afternoon as I stood upstairs, looking down into the family room - Curt was napping, Amy was reading to kids, Jo and another kid were listening to the story, Rox was entertaining a lapful, Grandpa was engrossed in his book, mom was vacumning, and Cal was crying cause he couldn't find me! Had to snap a picture!

Every afternoon around 4pm was movie hour. It was during this time that whoever was in charge of dinner could have a nice quiet hour plus of kid free meal prep.
I wish I would have gotten pictures from meal time, but it was usually total chaos and I was always busy helping a couple children. Spencer and I made our meal on Monday. We made spring rice bowls - a recipe from our friend Stacy Sundberg. Delicious!

After dinner bedtime prep would begin. Another favorite part about the reunion was that all kids were in bed by 7pm!! Seriously! And they were usually so exhausted that they were asleep within seconds! Our first night in Vegas Clark and Jo had taken the triplets up to bed. It was only 6:30 so I wasn't worried about my kids yet. Then Clark came down and told me that Elle wanted to go to bed. I came upstairs to find her on her bed asking to get into jammies and brush teeth. Since her cousins (especially Leah) were going to bed, she wanted to too! Awesome! And while Calhoun cousins were all awake by 6am, my kids slept til 7am every morning (big thanks to mom for bringing darkening curtains for our bedroom).

Once all kids were asleep the adult fun would begin. Some nights we'd sit around and talk. One night we played a fun newlywed game that Jo had planned. Another night us girls went out on the town, then the next night the guys went out. But every night ended with an intense game of "BANG" that usually would last late into the night and sometimes into the wee hours of the morning.

Our girls night out ended up being a bust because of the torrential downpour that started as soon as we arrived at the Bellagio. We walked around for a bit then picked up ice cream on our way home to share with the guys.



Our drive back was quite entertaining though. A crazy amount of rain fell in less than an hour and people were wading through it with water up to their calves.

And if they weren't wading through it, they were walking along the medians. We had a pretty awesome lightning show too!

The guys went to Sky Zone for their night out. I was actually pretty jealous - I would have preferred to do something like that. It's a big warehouse with trampolines everywhere. Apparently, during a particularly intense game of dodge ball, Clark almost got into a fight with a 12 year old. Nice! Then they headed over to Mandalay Bay to check out all the fools throwing their money away.

Each day a new activity was on the schedule. One day was hair cuts. Mom had 10 people signed up making it a busy morning for her! Cal was a pill though and it took an entire army to keep him calm!
Let's see that close up:
Mom's salon with two in the waiting area!

Saturday was family pictures. We were told to bring a solid color shirt and jeans or solid dress for the little girls. And our photographer was my tripod and self timer! I thought the pictures turned out pretty good considering!

On Sunday we attended a 9am sacrament meeting, but then came home for our own primary and Sunday school. I did a lesson, the kids shared their projects, and Karlee led the music.
We also discovered new things, like our neighbors friendly horse:

Monday we hit up a water park in the afternoon. It was awesome and I'm super bummed I didn't get any pictures from it. I sure had a blast going down the big slides though.

Tuesday was our family talent show. Madi and Elle recited poetry (no pics, just video). Matthew's rendition of "I am a Child of God" was awesome.
Clark's magic show was a huge hit! He's super good and had us all in awe!
Calhouns acted out the bear in tennis shoes:
Adley performed a number on the guitar:
And Bobby did what he does best! Everyone loves Uncle Bobby!

Then that night we had an early birthday celebration for Bobby and JoSue.

Wednesday was our last full day in Vegas and we had plans to go wake boarding with Spencer's cousin Seth and wife Stephanie. Everyone seemed to be doing their own things for the afternoon anyway- Clark, and Jo to a Children's Museum, Tisha wanted to pack up, and Bob, Amy, and Matthew had to head back to Provo. Curt, Adley, Ani, and mom joined Spencer, the kids, and I on the lake. We had such a great time!
Elle was not a fan of the tube and just had a short ride.
Snuggling with Gram was a better option!
Madi loved riding the jet ski! 
 I took Madi and Adley on the tube with me - it was such a blast!!
Around 5:30pm Cal was getting fussy and I knew he wouldn't last. My mom's so awesome and volunteered to take Cal and Elle home early. I vascillated between staying and going - I just felt super bad making my mom go alone, but I ended up staying and had such a fun time (thanks mom!).


After mom left with the kids I mustered up the courage to try wake boarding (my very first time)! I got up on my third try but then on my second time up I did a total face plant that totally knocked the wind out of me. With a throbbing headache and stomach full of lake water, I called it quits. Later I discovered a nice goose egg on my forehead from the fall. Ya, I was sore for 3 days afterwards!
Thanks Seth and Stephanie for the fabulous time!

Thursday morning we were all up early. Calhouns took off around 7am (they had a 12 hour drive ahead of them), Spencer took Roxy, Clark, Jo, and their kids to the airport at 8:30, mom, and dad took Grandpa and Grandma to the airport at 9am, and Spencer and I were on the road by 10am. It's always so hard to say goodbye. Sure gonna miss everyone! Already getting excited for our next reunion in 2015!!

2 comments:

martyrudd said...

Anie...this was an awesome post!! I love the seriousness of the BANG game, to the craziness of vacuuming while Curt is sleeping!! Every picture made me smile!! Thanks for all your hard work and talent in getting these ready for us to see so quickly. (And the family pics are great!!) xoxox you're the best!! xoxoxMOM

Papa said...

Anie, these are awesome pictures thank you for doing such a great job in capturing these wonderful memories. What a great time!