Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Christmas Eve

We were lucky this year to have Gram and Papa join us for Christmas!

They flew into Burbank early on Christmas Eve morning. Just Spencer and Cal drove down to pick them up since the rest of our kids weren't awake by the time they had to leave.

They got home and we headed out for our traditional breakfast at Waypoint Cafe.
 Funny story behind my mom and Madi's outfits. Madi wakes up and tells me she needs to text Gram. She texts: "What are you wearing cause I want to coordinate with you." Mom responds with some clues and tells Madi to wear something like Mrs. Claus. I just love this for so many reasons. . .
1) That Madi knew her Gram well enough to know that she'd be wearing something festive!
2) That my mom dressed like this for her flight.
3) Madi and Gram are two peas in a pod!
It was a great breakfast and a fun way to start the day. Papa picked up the check which he was NOT supposed to do. My parents are such spoilers and we really wanted a chance to spoil them for a change. 
After breakfast Spencer and Papa headed out to the harbor to check out Uncle Jeremy's boat (they'd just arrived from Logan a day earlier and Jeremy wanted to get his new boat in the water). Gram, the kids and I headed home. I layed James down for a nap, then the kids and I delivered Christmas bread to our neighbors, before mom headed off to the movies with Madi, Elle and Cal while I relaxed at home. I always get a nice break when Gram's around! 
By the time we all were back together, it was time to start prepping dinner. 
We did finger foods for Christmas Eve dinner - what I grew up doing and LOVE! 
Poor Papa had a reaction from all the wind out at the harbor in the afternoon and his face was on fire the whole night. Sweet cuddles from James though! 
After dinner we ran outside just in time to see Santa's sleigh fly over our house. It flew so close to our house that we could see more details than I wanted my kids to see.  
I read about this in Madi's journal later and she wrote: "At 6:32 we went outside to watch Santa fly by. Actually for the first time in my life I actually got to see Santa's sleigh and reindeers in person, flying through the sky. I was sooooo excited but then I realized the airplane flying above it. Then I realized it was hanging the fake sleigh. I was sooooo disappointed!!"

What a bummer! 
Our Nativity was a little weak this year. Wish we'd have gotten a picture with Elle as the Angel and Madi on the piano, and Spencer narrating. Mom was a wise woman and Papa a shepherd I think. 
I haven't played Mary in many many years, so this was fun for me!
Then Spence read "The Night Before Christmas" and we sent the kids to bed! 
Merry Christmas to ALL and to all a Good Night!!!

No comments: