Sunday, April 30, 2017

14 months

My sweet boy is 14 months old! 
He grew up so much this past month! I'm always amazed at how much a baby can change in just one month!  He pulls up on everything and walks along the furniture. And is so close to walking. 
We pulled out the shopping cart today and it was like a light went on in James' head that he could walk! He didn't want to stop!
He pushed that shopping cart all around the house - up and down the halls, needing just a little bit of help around the corners. 
We all stood around and cheered him on and he ate it all up - knowing how cute we all think he is! 
James really has such a great laugh - one of those hold your head back, let it out laugh!
I love how happy and smiley he always is. 
He lights up the room and can make anyone smile. 
James loves his books and loves that he can now get up into his rocker all by himself to read now!
He's just been doing it for about a week now - he gets up into his chair and then laughs and laughs  - so pleased with himself! He's able to get up onto the couch by himself now too and thinks it's the greatest thing ever! I love watching him try to get off. Still a little tricky. 
I love James' excitement about all the little things. I love how he points and says, "Ohh . . . ooo. . ." with his O shaped mouth. He's always learning and taking it all in - I love trying to slow down and see things from his eyes - something I need to do more often.
At 14 months James says little - mostly just points and says, "Oooo"
His small vocabulary is, "Wa wa" for water, "cacker" for cracker. "Bob" when taking about our bird. "Hi dad" - only has said hi to Spencer. 
He'll also copy or mimic us, like the other day when he made the g sound over and over again when I was saying. "Go go go."
He knows animal sounds for the lion and elephant.

Other things this month: James fell out of his crib this week. Poor guy - we need to lower it but he definitely learned his lesson. He now will just be on his knees when I come in. He's much more careful when standing looking over his crib edge now.

James grew 2 more teeth this month - his top back molars - putting him up to 10 teeth now. Totally explains his super high fevers at the beginning of the month. My guess is it might have had something to do with it.

James is still nursing but just once a day - right before bed. It's just been hard for me to give it up completely. When he was sick at the beginning of the month he didn't want to eat, but wanted to nurse all the time. I was glad I was able to do that and have some way to soothe him. I've never had a kid pull at my shirt - excited to nurse but James did that the other day and I was thinking, "ok, probably time to end this."

Oh how I love our sweet boy and his excitement and enthusiasm for life! He gives the best squeezes and gives them upon request. This really is such a fun and exciting stage.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Derrick LOVES to say Hi Dad too!! He repeats it over and over again when Michael comes home. I love to read about all the similarities between these two cousins! Ending nursing is so bittersweet. Derrick stopped in February. Michael just put him to bed one night without nursing and he was totally fine. The freedom is nice but sometimes I still miss that bonding time- and sometimes I'll be holding Derrick and he will grab at my shirt and give me this look like he still vaguely remembers nursing. Hopefully its a smooth transition when you guys decide to stop.