Day 2
Celebrations: 9
Accidents: ZERO!!!
Here's my makeshift potty chart that Madi loved putting stickers on, but was used mostly for my purposes of keeping track of the time she went potty. It's fun for me to see how much more successful today was than yesterday! Yeah!
Detailed report (for the record):
Potty training went much better today! I was a little nervous this morning when after her first potty of the day, Madi (almost crying), tells me she doesn't want to wear panties and just wants to wear her diaper. I decided not to fight it and went ahead and put a diaper on her. Then Spencer came downstairs (talking to Madi), saying how disappointed he was and that he was really sad Madi had decided she didn't want to wear panties. Madi then looks at me and says, "I just wanta put my panties on. I want to make him happy." And boy did it makes us happy! From that moment on the entire day was a complete success!
The best thing I did was make Madi feel like a big girl- showing her that going potty was something she could do all by herself. I had her go into the bathroom and do it all without my help (lots of encouraging and cheering came here). She pulled down her pants and underwear, stepped up on the stool, pushed herself onto the toilet, and then went!! It was great! We celebrated.
Yesterday I started with the sticker chart, giving fruit snacks after the successes. Then today I threw in several other incentives. After Elle's nap I had Madi go potty again, telling her as soon as she went we could go to the store and pick out a "special treat". Madi was all over that (and again went). I was a little nervous about going to the grocery store but I figured we had an hour before she'd need to go again. I assured Madi that if she needed to go while we were at the store I'd find her a potty. I think Madi wanted to test me out on this one cause we were almost ready to check out when Madi yells, "Find me a potty mom!" I frantically maneuvered my way through the aisles, getting directed to the bathroom (that before today I didn't know existed), pushed the cart into the doorway (leaving Elle happily gnawing on a graham cracker), pulled Madi into a stall and whipped her up onto the toilet seat. She gave a couple grunts and tells me she doesn't have to go. Nice Madi- thanks for keeping me on my toes!
After a successful shopping trip (i.e. no accidents), Madi came home with her chosen potty treats- a bag of gummy bears and popsicles. She didn't have to go after getting home but I continued to keep an eye on her while unloading the car. Suddenly she was quiet and standing next to my elliptical. I grabbed her hand exclaiming, "OH, you better try and go potty again!" She got right up there, I stepped out to put something away, and she tells me she's done! I look in and find that she'd pooped (major celebrating happened here)!!! She was rewarded with two gummy bears and a popsicle!
The day continued as such- Madi excited about her new found independence, loving all the treats, and I'm sure all the attention. She really wanted to go the park today so again I told that as soon as she went potty we'd go. Sure enough she hopped up on the potty and went! It was great- I was able to get out of the house (twice) and have success with potty training!
By the end of the day I'd turned the whole thing into a game, telling Madi that even if I was busy with something else, she could always use the potty without me even knowing. Then we'd practice- me being busy and her sneaking off without me seeing. She loved it and got really fast!
Her final reward for the day was 9 "kitty cookies" (the ones from Trader Joes) for her 9 successful times using the potty. It's amazing the things that please little kids! She was also promised a special daddy daughter date with Spencer this weekend which she's thrilled about and brought up during conversation several times throughout the day.
I'm crossing my fingers that tomorrow is just as successful!



8 comments:
Madi is sure going to love these pictures when she is older...perfect for the senior yearbook!! :)
Way to go Madi, and Mommy too! I'm so glad to see that you are having success with your first potty training experience. Now you can come over to my house and train mine. :) Congratulations you guys!
That's great that Madi responds so well to rewards and stickers! Mine--not so much. But, my kids love love loved using public restrooms. Makes outings easier. I think we've visited one in every place we've ever gone. Hopefully the trend for Madi will continue.
Oh my gosh, that is so sweet that she went back to panties because she didn't want to disappoint her daddy! How adorable! Congrats on the success! Just today I was on the phone & doing my makeup in the bathroom, and Brooklyn trotted in with no diaper, pushed the stool up to the toilet, climbed up and sat down! I was like, "Whoa, what?" Um... maybe I should start trying with her? I'm really terrified, truthfully!
Congrats on the progress! Brooklyn still has false alarms at the worst times. I now don't go anywhere without knowing where the closest bathroom is at all times. Good luck!
thats so awesome Anie! You are my motivation!!!!! Go Madi! Sucha BIG GIRL!!!!! How did yesterday go?
Rock on, Anie AND Madi!!!
Way to go Madi! Hope the weekend has been a success too!
Post a Comment