Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Break 2010

While Spencer was off fly fishing in Tennessee, the girls and I were having our own share of fun in North Carolina. Due to a runny nose (Elle's very first), we postponed our trip a day (didn't want to get a new baby and/or his siblings sick) and left early Wednesday morning. The drive down was a snap- 5 hours exactly, even with stopping at a rest area for a half hour to feed Elle and stretch our legs. We got in early afternoon, giving Madi the rest of the day to play with her cousins. My mom had flown in on Monday night to help out. It was especially fun to have her there to hang out with and help keep the kids entertained. With 5 kids age 4 and under, it was nice having 3 moms around. As great as Tisha seemed to be doing, mom and I tried to plan several outings that would give Tish some quiet time at home. Luckily the weather seemed to cooperate and we were able to go on lots of walks and several trips to the park.
All of us were happy about the gorgeous weather and time spent outside!

The little rain that we did get, didn't stop Madi from playing outside!

Aside from playing with Gram and cousins, and having exceptionally beautiful weather (high 60's, low 70's), the highlight of our trip was getting to meet "baby Sam". What a handsome little guy!
I feel like I've already totally forgotten what it's like to have a newborn. They really do grow up way too fast- made me realize that Elle's not much of a baby anymore. It was cute to see her excitement about her new baby cousin (video coming- it's not uploading for some reason).

Other highlights from the trip:
* Marbles Children's Museum- wish we had one of these close to us.
* Watching Madi try out her cousins' bikes and scooters. I think we've finally decided what bike to get her.

I didn't get a picture of Madi on the bike, but while I was taking a picture of Elle chillin in the stroller, Madi came zooming down the steep driveway- not sure how to stop the bike. Luckily she was able to steer it into the grass- giving herself a nice cushioned fall!

* Staying up at night hanging out with my mom and sister.
* Meeting up with the Gertschs. I'm so glad the Gertschs moved to North Carolina where we'll always be able to get together when we come to stay with the Calhouns. Thanks Matt, Doreen and boys for meeting the girls and I for dinner!

Overall it was a great spring break- but definitely one of the last we'll be doing without Spencer. As much as I love my husband and love knowing that he's having a great time, I couldn't help but resent the fact that he was completely off of dad duty for the week, getting fabulous sleep- not having kids in his bedroom, and then driving home in a nice quiet car. Luckily he got home Sunday afternoon only about 20 minutes after we did and he completely took over for the rest of the evening. It was the best ending to a great week!

4 comments:

Tisha said...

Thanks for the great week, Anie!!! We had so much fun and I loved all the "GRAM" time with my babies. Missing you, xoxoMOM
(Not Tisha....I'm using her computer network:)

JoSue said...

Ok, well whatever. I did this big, long comment about your last couple posts. Then it didn't save. Boo! Now I don't remember exactly what I said so this will be shorter.

Looks like such a fun time and WARM time in North Carolina. I wish we were only 5 hours away. That makes things nice. You guys always seem to find the fun museums and hot spots! Madi and Elle are as cute as ever. Love the swinging pics. I'm sure Spencer missed you guys while he was away getting all smelly and covered in fish...:) Good luck to him in the next couple months with finals and his big test. Love you guys! xoxo

JoSue said...

Ok, well whatever. I did this big, long comment about your last couple posts. Then it didn't save. Boo! Now I don't remember exactly what I said so this will be shorter.

Looks like such a fun time and WARM time in North Carolina. I wish we were only 5 hours away. That makes things nice. You guys always seem to find the fun museums and hot spots! Madi and Elle are as cute as ever. Love the swinging pics. I'm sure Spencer missed you guys while he was away getting all smelly and covered in fish...:) Good luck to him in the next couple months with finals and his big test. Love you guys! xoxo

Lis said...

Anie you are QUITE the photographer now! Im so impressed by all your pictures! I dont need to teach you ANYTHING anymore! Sam is flipping CUTE! COngrats to your sister! So sweet! Looks like all the kids had a blast together! Ani has awesome hair!!!! I cant believe how long it Is!!!