Thursday, July 7, 2011

A DC 4th

(Full disclosure: I stole this photo off the internet, but this really was our view! Breathtaking!!)

After moving away last summer, not knowing if we'd ever be back in DC, we made sure to live up the DC experience this year for the 4th of July. I'm sure there's other awesome firework shows all over the country, but in reality, there is no better place to celebrate the 4th than sitting on the lawn by the Marine Corps Memorial, looking out over the Potomac River at the Lincoln and Washington Monuments and the Capitol.

It was an awesome day filled with good food, great friends, and lots of fun! Adam Eshenroder, who was visiting for the weekend and the Sundberg family joined us for a BBQ at our place. On the menu was ribs, hot dogs, sweet corn-on-the-cob, a delicious salad, homemade root beer, and for dessert- homemade raspberry ice cream and a 6 layered red-white-and-blue patriotic cake! Only the best for America's birthday!
The kids each took a turn brewing up the root beer.

Thanks Stacy for joining me in the obligatory cake picture!
Notice how we're color coordinated with the cake- red, white, and blue!

My traditional 4th of July cake- but made a little differently this year.

After lunch all the kids took naps. Then we headed down to the Marine Corps Memorial around 4:45p. It was perfect timing- we got a great spot with tons of space!
The kids were great at keeping themselves busy until the fireworks show. . .
Elle and Weston cheesin' it up with rice cakes in hand!

Big thanks to Becky for bringing tons of activities for the kids! Why to be prepared Bec!
Madi absolutely loved making necklaces. She sat just like this for at least an hour.

Elle and Abby are the cutest little buddies. The best was during the fireworks when Abby went back to sit with her family and Elle yells, "Come back Abby!"

We loved having Adam with us for the weekend! Our girls absolutely adored him.
Happy Birthday America!!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

WOW, that cake is gorgeous! All the labor was worth it! Scott just had some 5 minutes ago. I get angry when he eats it in front of me. That's why I didn't bring any ice cream home, the other night. He doesn't deserve it;)

Great pictures! I might snag a couple off of your blog. Hope that's okay:)

Happy Birthday AMERICA!!!

Safire said...

Taking notes! I want to do this next year!

The Days of your Life said...

We need to have a get together! I miss you! Did you get the dresses?

Jocelyn said...

Looks like a ton of fun. We were missing Spencer's homemade root beer this year...and your smiling faces, of course! Love you guys!!

Melissa said...

On my list of things to do while we are out east is to experience this! (I may call you for tips next year)