But I am a little nervous about bringing the girls along. I know they're excited and would be devastated about missing the chance of seeing the baby, but honestly they can be so crazy together (last appointment was exhausting). I feel like I'm constantly nervous about bringing them places anymore. Every single trip to Target (or any store for that matter- today it was Target) we have a melt down- about Madi taking something of Elle's. About Elle pushing on the back of Madi's seat. About wanting something I'm not going to buy them. AH- it's so tiring! I get furious and have to try my hardest to keep my cool and calm the drama down. I just miss the days when bringing some snacks along was all it would take for a successful shopping trip.
Today was no different (but I always go in with the hope that it will be different). I had 3 things on my list and was determined to get those 3 things. The girls sat in the back of the cart together- reading princess books. But then Madi had to take control over how many books Elle could have at a time, and Elle starting flipping out because she wanted a specific book that Madi refused to give her. Immediate frustration! I took the books away, pulled Madi out of the cart (all while she's crying about wanting the books). Elle's totally freaking as well. I tried putting Elle into the front seat of the shopping cart but she's fighting me and refusing to put her feet in. Finally she gave up and agreed to sit in the front. I gave them both a stern lecture and then shopping resumed. It's really no different than any other shopping trip- I always have to deal with some type of obnoxious/dramatic behavior. I'm just so tired of it. Sometime I doubt my ability to have 3 kids.
We got home and Madi skyped with Ani for a bit. They got each other hyper and Madi became slap happy. I had to end the skype to get Madi ready for preschool, but then her hyperness couldn't be calmed down and everything became a joke. She'd run away from me, say "no", and laugh about everything I was trying to do (including giving her a time-out). I couldn't get Madi in the car fast enough and off to school. I hate that I feel that way sometimes- like a sigh of relief, knowing she's at school and I don't have to deal with her. Funny thing is that she's a complete perfect angel for all her teachers- preschool and primary. They always have wonderful things to say and I'm always left feeling like those 5th grade parents I used to talk to who would be amazed by all the wonderful things I'd tell them about their kids. Why do kids always have to be the worst for their parents??
Before taking off for school I asked the girls to fold their arms so I could say a prayer (I hated how I felt inside and needed to be calmed down). I prayed for our day to get better, for the girls to be more obedient, and for me to be a better mom. After the "amen", Madi immediately tells me, "Mom, you are a good mom." I explained to her how frustrated I was with her and Elle not listening. Then with all the love and conviction of a 4 year old, Madi sincerely tells me, "Ya, but you're always a good mom."
And for some reason, at that moment, it made everything all better.
And actually, the rest of today was wonderful!
3 comments:
You totally just described my life exactly. Julia is even almost to hard to take anywhere by herself anymore, let alone all the kids. Stinks! I totally felt the same way this morning too about getting Elena out the door for school.
My advice about the ultrasound--don't take the girls with you! This is your time to see the baby, and you don't want to be stressed the whole time. Just relaxed and enjoying the moment. It's a one time thing! You can always show them the pictures, and tell them all about it. Just my take.
Glad to read your updates, and see that life is continuing on. Miss ya! -Kirsten
Anie, after taking 3 kids somewhere, you will think taking Madi and Elle out without #3 is a breeze!
My suggestion would be to simplify things for the girls. Only let them pick one book each to bring in the store, and I would separate them. Take turns with Madi up in front of the cart on one trip and Elle in the front on the next trip. Give Madi your list and let her help you shop! She may really like having a job and feel important when she finds what you are looking for! Just some ideas that may help. Or you just wait until Spencer gets home and then go without the girls! Ashley and Tyler are fine together, but I just hate carrying them around in the cold, so I try to avoid going anywhere whenever possible! Another idea is to change Elle's nap schedule and do your errands when Madi is at school. I know that means you don't get time to yourself, but sometimes the trade-off might be worth it!
Good luck! You are doing great, and as Madi said, you are a good mom!
Can't wait to hear about your ultrasound today!
Ah, the joys of motherhood! Time to implement a reward system with them. We go through about 15 reward systems a year, so we don't get bored of the one we are currently successful with, so I don't have a favorite and I know you have used them.
I have also started telling Eleanor, "pretty is as pretty does" and she is really thinking about it. I tell her that I want the "pretty Eleanor" back.
Don't take them to the ultrasound. They,as much as you think they do, do not care about seeing the baby. You can show them the pictures and they will be just fine!
Good luck and you are a great mom! It's just one of those days!!!!!
Love you!
Post a Comment