Leading up to Christmas, Madi had become obsessed with acting out the Nativity. It was a daily event at home, with Madi (who insisted we call her Mary) being pregnant with baby Jesus, traveling to Bethlehem where a star shone in the sky (our huge flashlight used for this) for the shepherds and wise men (all sorts of dolls used) to find her in the stable. She turned her small pink step stool into a manger where, after delivering baby Jesus ("purple baby" was always used) Madi would wrap him in her softest blankets and then proceed to sing all sorts of primary Christmas songs. I got so used to her daily enactments that now as I type this I wish I would have snuck in and got the whole thing on video, at least once. I mostly just savored the quiet time where she would be off in her own world, leaving Elle to play quietly, and allowing me to get some housework done. But luckily we did get complete video of the final production, done on Christmas Eve with the help of 5 cousins, 1 sister, and a dog. Madi was in complete heaven and took her part very seriously. Grandpa Al was the narrator, Spencer was on video, while Lindsay and I snapped some pics.
Eric (age 7) was Joseph and Madi was Mary, riding Truly (the donkey) into Bethlehem:

Joseph with Mary who was "great with child":

Our shepherds: Elle and Tyler (age 3)

Brittany (age 12) and Ashley (age 1) as the "wise women":

After delivery, Madi carefully wrapped baby Jesus and layed him in the manger:

The wise women presenting their wonderful gifts:

Madi's a natural - such a great mama:

The entire cast, complete with Kaitlyn (age 8) as the angel:

After the nativity, Grandpa Al read all the kids "The Night Before Christmas." Then Madi and Elle unwrapped their new jammies, we said our goodbyes, thanked Boppi for the delicious clam chowder dinner, and headed home to set out letters, cookies, and chocolate milk for Santa.

For two little girls obsessed with wearing dresses, they both got their first (of probably many) nightgowns.

Both girls got to help stir up the chocolate milk:

Then layed out with some sugar cookies and letters:


It was a pretty prefect Christmas Eve!
4 comments:
Sounds like the perfect Christmas Eve. I love their new nightgowns! Glad you guys are settled in and loving California!
I am so glad things are going well for you in California! We miss you guys!
Ohhh SOOOOOOOOOOOOO stinkin cute!!! And I LOVE that Madi wrote her own letter to Santa. I couldn't get Tyler to do it. Now I need to see pics of Christmas morning!! And I blogged for you. ;)
Elle as a shepherd looking into the night sky is priceless.
And Madi...being the perfect Mary...like mother, like daughter. Do you remember being Mary every year out in the Shindlers barn and Clark was Joseph? Our first year here in California you played the part so well that they asked you to come back and be Mary and Joseph every year thereafter.
Yes, precious memories for a mom(and dad)who spent Christmas morning with no children at home.
Yes...you should have video taped Madi role playing the nativity. (Again, there's always Christmas 2012!)
xoxoxMOM
Post a Comment