The morning Spencer and I flew back to California was a crazy one. We got in around 8:40am, picked up our car, drove to Camarillo, picked up the girls, and immediately drove over to our new place to get the keys from our landlord. We did a quick walk through and then the movers, who had already been waiting for an hour, began to unload the truck. Spencer stayed for a few minutes but then had to take off to drop Madi off at school on his way to work.

Elle played in a corner of the family room while I directed boxes. Since the movers also had to set up everything that had originally been taken down in our last place, the whole process took longer than I'd expected. Thank goodness Lindsey Bell was able to pick up Madi from school for me. The movers left around 4pm and then I unpacked as long as possible before heading over to Spencer's parents for dinner. Since we had no food at our house, we were all starving and a home cooked meal was just what we needed for the long night of unpacking ahead. It was late and we were all tired (especially Elle who hadn't gotten a nap in), but the girls were insisting that we stay the night at our new house. I did want to keep unpacking, so I managed to find the comforters to the bunk beds and some other blankets for the girls to sleep on, and put them to bed as soon as we got back to our house.





The week that followed is now a complete blur in my memory. Spencer had to work everyday and had an exceptionally busy week with depositions and hearings- he drove up to Fresno on Tuesday, Palm Springs on Wednesday, and LA on Thursday. Leaving at 4 or 5am and not getting home until after 7pm made for a very tried (and completely useless in regards to helping unpack) husband. Aside from a Costco and Target run, the girls and I would leave the house only to take and pick up Madi from school. One day she didn't even go to school cause we were waiting around the whole day for the plumber to come replace the faucet for our washer/dryer to be plugged into. But we survived- well, I should say I survived. Just as expected, the girls were in complete heaven with the boxes and boxes of toys, babies, stuffed animals, etc. being unpacked left and right. One afternoon I found Madi in the baby's room with all the stuffed animals lined up, playing school. I had to snap a picture:

Now, I might not be the best packer, but when it comes to unpacking and organizing, I take serious pride in my ability to get it done fast! That's probably why I started to get discouraged come the end of the week when it seemed as if I'd unpack all day (and long into the night) only to find that the mess wouldn't go away. It was super frustrating and I was definitely not the happiest wife. Spencer would ask me where something was (which is a joke in our house that he can never find anything, but I always know where everything is) and I'd immediately snap at him about not knowing where anything was!! It took almost an entire week for our house to seem livable. By Sunday I was feeling better and able to slow down a bit, relax, go to our new ward, meet some new friends, and finally feel like we've moved to Camarillo (such a great feeling)!
Then this past week we put off the last of organizing (my office and the garage need some serious help, and I'm still waiting for pictures to be hung) to enjoy the holidays- do some baking, get a Christmas tree, attend a parade, go to a Christmas party, and do some shopping. I'm definitely feeling behind and am ready for our house to be completely put together, but realize that it's gonna take longer than I expected.
Despite the craziness, frustration and disorganization I went through (and am still going through) with unpacking and trying to set up a new house, I am very much in love with our new home and area. Eight years ago I came Camarillo for the very first time and fell in love. It's hard to believe that in just 7 1/2 years of marriage Spencer and I are living exactly where we've always wanted to live. I seriously keep pinching myself to make sure this isn't a dream.
And not only do we live in Camarillo, but we also have a house with a backyard, a garage, and a fireplace (all things I'd only wished for up to this point in marriage). I love it- all of it! I love our new backyard that we've already had a couple afternoon picnics in.


Oh, and did I mention we have an orange tree! SO excited about the already ripe oranges on there!
I love our outdoor patio in the back with complete privacy from our neighbors. I love that the girls have a place to dump their sidewalk chalk, draw pictures, race their cars, and ride bikes and scooters down all the "secret pathways" (as Madi calls our walkway that wraps around the entire house).

I love our fireplace where we've already sat next to and read Christmas stories while eating popcorn, drinking hot cocoa, and listening to the flames crackling.

I love having a garage to store all our extra stuff- and most importantly a great place for my new workout room (which I should take a picture of to show the complete disarray it's in right now).
We'll definitely be changing things around in the next few months. I'm trying to figure out where I want everything. Having a living and family room is a new concept to me and I don't want to have a big room of just wasted space. For now it's a perfect place for the tree, but come January I might have to make it into an office or something. Still deciding.

Right now pictures are lining the wall- waiting for Spencer to come home and hang.
Our first visitors arrive on Wednesday the 28th. We're super excited and will hopefully be ready with an organized house by then!
4 comments:
Love it! Cant wait to see it in just a few days. Who are the visitors- Corinne and Morgan?
You are amazing! All of this in just a few short days.
Merry Christmas! Love to you and your family!
Cheryl
I LOVE it! I totally envy your new yard!!! Glad you are getting things organized and it will all fall into place soon. YAY!!
Post a Comment