Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter!!

We spent a wonderful Easter weekend here at home. Spencer took the girls out yesterday morning to a ward Easter activity. But aside from that, we played at home all weekend. The weather couldn't have been more gorgeous, so we blew up the pool on Saturday and spent a lot of the afternoon outside.
Ready to head off to the ward Easter egg hunt!


I stayed home from church with Calvin today. We hid eggs for the girls while they were gone. I'm not a big fan of doing Easter baskets or even talking up the Easter Bunny, but this past week somehow a bunny had gotten into our backyard. Spencer saw it first and told the girls to get outside and come see. The bunny hid from them in the bushes. Then when they got just close enough, it jumped out and raced past them- inches away from where Elle was standing. Her reaction was hysterical (ear piercing scream, tears, the works)! So not to make her become fearful of bunnies (or anything else in our backyard), Spencer and I went on to explain that it was just the Easter bunny, getting ready for Easter. And what do know, our little fib worked! The girls watched for the "Easter Bunny" everyday. Then when they got home from church, there was a note (written on bunny stickies) stuck to the garage door: "Hi Madi and Elle! Happy Easter! I left you a surprise. Go out the side door and you'll see what I left. Have a HOPPY day! PS. Don't tell anyone you saw me in your bushes. No one is supposed to see me."
Then I'd written with chalk and arrows- directing the girls to the backyard to find their eggs. It was fun. I especially loved hearing Elle squeal with delight every time she found another egg.

This evening we had Spencer's parents over for our traditional Easter dinner of lamb kebabs (Souvlakia), dipped in Tzatkizi sauce, with lemon mint rice, and greek salad, topped off with Strawberry Shortcake for dessert! YUM!!! It was heavenly- probably my favorite holiday meal (or tied with what we make on 4th of July).
Thanks mom and dad for joining us- and for bringing the chairs, tablecloth, flowers, salad, jello, and shortcakes!

It was a wonderful Easter. I was little bummed about not making it to church today. I know it's normal to miss a week or two after having a baby, but not going to church on Easter Sunday just didn't feel right. When I asked Madi what her favorite part of the day was (fully expecting her to say "finding eggs the Easter Bunny left"), she said it was going to church. I'm sad I missed out.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

your kebabs and dipping sauce sound good- what is the recipe?

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Days of your Life said...

So adorable! Sad you are so far away and we cannot love on our new cousin!
Big hugs to you!

Dan and Bec said...

We are putting an offer in on a house today...keep your fingers crossed. Then maybe we can buy a grill and try out some of Spencer's awesome recipes!!!! Glad you had a happy Easter! I hope Calvin is letting you get the rest you need!:)

GO Gray's said...

I can't wait to see you!! YOur mom said you are coming here in a few weeks. Let's get together. Your little guy is so cute!!!