I couldn't think of a better way to spend Mother's Day weekend than at home with my own mom! Originally Spencer and I were gonna drive up Friday after work and then come back Sunday afternoon. But due to a crazy work week for Spencer, he stayed home and worked instead of coming up to Brentwood with me. Of course I was bummed - it's always nice to be spoiled by your husband on Mother's Day, but Spencer promised to make it up to me this Sunday (and I'm holding him to it)!
Cal and I left early Saturday morning - I wanted to make sure I had the afternoon to spend with the girls before bedtime (not to mention, I was missing them like crazy!!). It was so great to see them and hear all about their fun week with Gram and Papa. And it was fun for me to spend the weekend with my parents- especially to be with my mama on Mother's Day.
Unfortunately the weekend wasn't as perfect as I was hoping. My allergies were totally acting up (we used to laugh how Spencer was allergic to Brentwood, but now I'm pretty sure I am too!) and I felt miserable - itchy eyes and nose, sneezing incessantly, etc. Plus it was a lot warmer than our mild Camarillo weather, and I was dying having to swaddle Calvin, hold him close, and bounce him. He was a lot of work and I felt bad handing over a screaming baby to my mom or dad (I've got no problem making sure Spencer gets his fair share of it though:)! Of course my mom and dad were tons of help though. They seriously would bend over backwards to make sure I was comfortable and having a good time (made me feel terrible for all the complaining I was doing about my allergies and such).
Church meetings were fabulous though! Elle was especially excited to go to nursery with Sister Tucker. Heather always has the best take home projects for holidays. Check out the cute little tin Elle made for me filled with chocolate covered strawberries and all sorts of other gummy fruit treats! YUM!!!
And I loved the little gifts Madi had made for me:
![]() |
| This one she made at school- her teacher was sweet and let her make it a week early. |
![]() |
| And this one was made in primary on Sunday. |
I was bummed that I felt so miserable on Sunday. I wish I could have done something more special for my mom. I got her the book, "Llama Llama, Home with Mama" which couldn't have been a more perfect story, telling about the week mom spent taking care of my little llamas - fevers, sore throats, stuffy heads, etc. etc. Such a cute book! My mom honestly is always taking care of someone else. Tisha and I talk about it all the time - wondering what we'll be like as grandma's. My mom is so selfless, always giving of her time and energy. One month she came to visit me, but then Tisha's kids were super sick so mom immediately flew out to NC to help out. Then Jen got in a car accident and mom went directly from NC to Idaho Falls to be with Jen and help out with the kids and housework. Then from there mom went to Utah to visit our aunt (her sister-in-law) who was super sick with cancer. And while she was there, mom helped Aunt Annie with painting/remodeling a bathroom! I think she was gone a total of 6 weeks! Exhausts me just to think about it! But that's the kind of stuff my mom does - travels from state to state helping people. She really is a saint!
I feel so blessed to have such an amazing mom- someone I know will always be there for me. And I'm so grateful for all the other amazing woman/mother figures in my life- my wonderful mother-in-law, my sweet grandma, my incredible sisters (and sister-in-laws), and my dear friends who have stood by my side to help me in this journey of motherhood.




3 comments:
I'm so jealous that you got to be with mom on Mother's Day! We really do have such a wonderful mom! No wonder each of my sisters have turned out to be amazing moms! They had her as an example . :)
Thank you soooo much, Anie for this sweet tribute!! You brought tears to my eyes as I read your thoughts. I want you to know how much I appreciate your love, attention and all you do for me. My greatest joys are my children and grand children . xoxoxMOM
Such great posts! Yes, your mom is amazing and she always gives 110% to her babies.... but she loves it. I was looking at your posts and Zachary said, "MY GIRLS". Can't wait for you to come back.
Post a Comment