Wednesday, September 19, 2012

School Days

The wall Madi's class lines up against every morning and afternoon.

Madi's been in school for a whole 2 weeks now and wow, what a different world it is having a school aged kid! Life seems so much busier and much more fast paced. Getting out the door by 7:45am is hard! Every morning is such a rush! All of a sudden Madi's decided she wants to sleep in. I've had to wake her up almost every single morning. I'm quickly learning to have lunch packed the night before, clothes laid out, papers in her folder, and set by the door. And I'm constantly thinking about how much busier it must be for parents with more than one kid in school- different classes, different grades, that many more schedules to keep track of, and that much more paperwork!

Slowly but surely we're getting this whole school thing down. Madi's been going from 8:10- 12:57pm everyday, but I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that she'll get into the 9:10-1:57 group. It would be so nice to have some more time in the morning!

Aside from the slow start to the morning, and Madi moaning about not wanting to get out of bed, she completely loves school! And I love hearing all about it! Yesterday when picking up Madi, she tells me: "When Elle and Cal get to go to school, they're gonna want to come here, cause this is the best school EVER!!"

Pretty sure it's gonna be a great year for Madi. Her teacher is fantastic - Madi comes home every afternoon telling me all about the fun things going on in class. Madi also has two friends from church in her class (Addie and Garret) and there's actually 8 other kids from her primary class in the 4 other kindergarten classes! It seriously feels like a relief society meeting every day at drop off and pickup. I'm anxious to get into Madi's classroom and get involved. I've signed up to work Motor Lab (like PE-with mats, balance beams, etc) every Friday and centers every other Thursday. All that will start next month.

Madi's teacher giving instructions on the 1st day of school. Try to find Madi!

Other things I've learned since Madi started school:
- Recess is her favorite. She loves the swings and usually does nothing else on the playground.
- When we ask her who she played with, she always says no one (why is this always so hard for me when she seems completely fine about it).
- She's never had to change her card (from green to yellow, red, and heaven forbid, purple) and says she never will. But there's a boy in her class who always has to change his card.
- On any given day, Madi can tell me what the majority of her friends in class were wearing. Ex: A "purple sparkly shirt with jeans." She'll explain who she's talking about by prefacing with what they wore- "you know, that boy in the green shorts."
- Madi is very detailed oriented.
- She's great about doing her homework as soon as she walks in the door from school (but I knew she would be)!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love love love hearing about Madi's school. It makes me miss the classroom! You are so good to volunteer! That will be fun. I have to come visit again soon so I can see her school. So proud of what a good student she already is!!!

martyrudd said...

Awesome about the clothing details...that's exactly how you were too!! Madi was born to be in school...and I love her 'independence' that it's ok not to play with anyone during recess. Not sure why that's hard for a mom to hear, but it was equally as hard for me when you kids would tell me that. Resently Clark told me about a group of boys in the 5th grade who were going to beat him up after school and the one boy who told him about it and helped him get away. Madi is that kind of friend...she will stick up for the 'one'.