Sunday, February 7, 2010

After the Storm

Today was sunny- I'm grateful for that. Spencer was able to shovel our car out in addition to our elderly neighbor couple who we borrowed the shovel from. Uncovering both cars took him a grand total of 3 hours- straight! Though I'm sure it was exhausting, there was something exhilarating about seeing everyone out today- helping each other get "unstuck", sharing shovels, chatting about the "crazy storm"- a real sense of camaraderie.

For some reason it was stressful to me seeing our car like this:

After: SO much better!
It does make me feel better not having a buried car, and the roads seem to be a little more drivable. I have to admit- when I first heard the news declare DC and the surrounding areas to be in a "state of emergency"- I laughed. I found it humorous that a little snow would cancel the majority of school for the week, not to mention clearing out all the local grocery stores. But when our power went out at 2am on Saturday morning I started to panic a bit (luckily it was back on 5 hours later). Unfortunately several friends in the ward were without electricity almost the entire day on Saturday. I don't know what we would have done- keeping Madi bundled up, entertained, and happy for the entire day would have been a task (I'm interested to hear how they survived)! Instead I spent the day thinking about how grateful I am to have heat, warm water, a microwave, oven, washer & dryer, internet, movies, and fridge and freezer that I can open as many times during the day as I want!

The storm was kind of exciting, but now I'm ready for it to be over. I'm dreading the thought of having to live in all this snow- not to mention drive in it, and cart kids in and out of places. And I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere. The temp's aren't supposed to get higher than the 30's and it's predicted to snow again on Tuesday and Wednesday!

4 comments:

martyrudd said...

Great before and after pics of the car!! Way to go Spence...good shoveling. xoxoMOM

Papa said...

Let's hope you get some heat with that sunshine! The pictures are sure great however, the one with Madi and the front door is precious!
Love you guys Papa

Brian or Julie said...

Are you ready for about 10 more inches? Love your pics.

tylerandmommy said...

You can't be over the snow YET...it's supposed to snow another 10-20 inches today into tomorrow. Your car will be covered again. I have not even attempted to drive yet and my car was in the garage. I'm glad your power wasn't out for too long. My inlaws power went out Saturday at 2am and wasn't back on until Sunday at 3pm. Anyhow, hopefully there isn't too much snow...I need Thursday!!