Friday, February 12, 2010

Works every time!

I love sticker charts! I loved then when I taught 4th grade, I loved them when I taught 5th grade, and I'm lovin now! They're totally effective with Madi! We set a goal not too many days ago and I probably should have made it a little harder cause Madi's already earned her bike (thankfully, giving up the binky was way too easy- she seems to even sleep better without it)!! No, we haven't gotten her a bike yet (cause honestly, where would she ride it- through all the snow?!)! Thankfully, our crazy weather conditions have bought us some time. We did let Madi get on the internet today to look at what type of bike she'd be interested in getting though.

Now on to our next sticker chart goal. . . .

Today I set a "being obedient" goal with Madi. Our FHE lesson this week was on obedience and doing things the first time mom or dad ask her to do it. It hasn't been a problem, but I'm pretty sure Madi will start finding ways to really impress us if stickers randomly came with her obedience! She'll get a sticker at random times during the day when she quickly obeys the first time (this is where we bust into song- "Quickly I'll Obey" :).

The reward: For every 5 sticker she earns, she'll get a special treat with mom and/or dad (I'm thinking anything from reading a special story with us, to sharing a thing of jello pudding).
Consequences: If she's not obeying I'll remove a sticker from her chart (of course this will also be followed by her regular time out discipline).

I'm excited to see how it's gonna work. I'm thinking it will be great because I can use it for pretty much anything- getting dressed, eating dinner, sharing toys, cleaning up, etc. etc.
See- it's totally makeshift. Nothing fancy, but hey- it works!

And just cause I'm feeling really good about the sticker chart- I put a little place on there for Madi to pass off her Articles of Faith. We taught her the first one as part of FHE last week and she had it memorized by Wednesday. I wonder how long it will take her to memorize all 13!?

An extra sticker is earned if she'll say it on video- without being crazy (something about bringing out the video camera makes Madi extra silly)!

6 comments:

Lis said...

I need you to come help me RAISE MY CHILD! PLEASE MOVE HERE!!!

martyrudd said...

Madi...I'm so proud of you memorizing the first article of faith!! You are sooooo smart. (Have your mama teach you the song "I'm S-M-A-R-T, I'm S-M-A-R-T, I'm S-M-A-R-T, I'm S-M-A-R-T!!") I love seeing you on videos. It makes me smile!! xoxoGram

Doreen said...

I can not believe all of this post. I really wish Hunter cared about stickers or charts or rewards, but he doesn't. That is impressive that Madi has already started memorizing Articles of Faith!! I can barely get Hunter to repeat a sentence of what I say!! OH how I wonder what your boys are going to be like!!!!

The Pickled Red Herring said...

Nice work, Madi!!! Um... this is the part where I admit that Ella Enchanted was on the other night, and I found myself thinking how nice it might be to have a child who OBEYED perfectly the first time, every time! Sometimes I have a hard time appreciating the whole "agency" concept!

Terry Family said...

Ok, the race is on... My kids are working on memorizing the Articles of Faith too. I told them about Madi and that gave them the little push they need to really get going! They can't let their 2 year old cousin pass them up (although she probably already has when it comes to songs!) Way to go Madi and Anie and Spencer!

The Days of your Life said...

Good for you Anie! You are an awesome mommy!
Love, cuz Jenna