Sunday, May 8, 2011

Motherhood

I remember the days- 4, 5, 6 years ago when I'd get an awesome work-out in everyday, no interuptions. I used to "get ready" every morning (make-up and hair included). I used to be able to go shopping in peace. I used to listen to "normal" music. My house was immaculate- all the time. But the reality... I was a workaholic. I stayed in my classroom long after the school day ended. Then I'd bring home stacks of papers to grade and weeks of lessons to plan. I remember not wanting to go anywhere on the weekends cause I hated getting behind. I remember being exhausted all the time. But I loved teaching and I wanted to do whatever I could to be the best.

Fast forward to today- I'm still exhausted, but I rarely fix my hair (a simple ponytail or bun is the norm), my daily work-outs are weak (on and off the elliptical, being sat on by one of the girls while doing abs, entertaining while doing weights, etc). I work 10 times harder for my house to be immaculate, and once it's clean it's usually a disaster come the next morning. My clothes are old, shopping is no fun, and when I'm alone in my car I usually forget that there's other music aside from primary and preschool songs. Sometimes I miss teaching. I miss having students who want to please me all the time. I miss the thrill of nailing a solid lesson and seeing the lights turn on for students who'd been struggling. But truthfully, I wouldn't trade any of it for the life I have now. I love (LoVe, LOVE) being a mom, and I love that I'm able to stay at home with my girls. I love that I'm their teacher. I love those tight hugs that help me know I'm the one who made it all better. I love this stage in my girls lives where Spencer and I are the ones they want the most. I love my little buddies that I get to spend every single day with and do whatever we want to do (on most days:)!

This Mother's Day I didn't get to go to church, I didn't get a potted flower or chocolate bar, and I didn't get to hear the primary kids sing the medley of Mother's Day songs I taught them last week. But I did get the sweetest gifts from Madi after preschool on Thursday.
I seriously cried after I opened this one. I have a feeling Mother's Day is only going to get better and better.

What we did do on Mother's Day: the girls I and drove home from North Carolina and Spencer drove back from Tennessee (he got home an hour and a half after us). We went on a family walk, ate leftovers, unpacked, put the girls to bed early, took a 10 minute "power" nap (per Spencer's request because I could barely keep my eyes open at 7pm), talked to our mama's, watched Modern Family, and ended the day with Spencer's on a phone meeting for his calling and me blogging.

1 comment:

The Pickled Red Herring said...

Awww so sweet! I totally hear you! Being a mom was not what I expected in almost every way, but I wouldn't change a thing!