Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Stitches

Sunday morning, April 10th, we were almost ready to leave for church. I walked down the stairs, saw all the boys playing legos at the dinning room table. Then I noticed Ani trying to help Elle put on her shoes- which were not the shoes I wanted Elle wearing to church, so I quickly intervened. Once shoes were on we'd be ready to go. Madi was completely ready and super excited for church. She was twirling and dancing around the family room in her "beautiful dress" telling me that she looked just like Belle. She did a little spin, came leaping towards me, and next thing I knew she'd tripped and crashed head first into the corner of the wall.

I immediately knew it was gonna be bad just by the sound of it. I quickly scooped her into my lap (I was already sitting right there on the floor), pulled her hair back to take a look, and then started to freak out a little (it was a super deep cut). Surprisingly, there was only a little bit of blood on her headband and in her hair, but other than that it wasn't really bleeding. Since obviously this kind of thing had never happened to either of my kids I wasn't sure of my next move. Thank goodness for Tisha- within seconds she'd taken the headband out of my hand, handed me an ice pack wrapped in a small white dishrag, and told me we needed to go to Urgent Care.

I looked down at Elle and Tisha quickly assured me that she would take care of Elle and not to worry. So I picked up Madi, grabbed my bag, slipped into my white flip flops (looked pretty awesome with the nice black dress I was wearing), and hustled out to the car. Madi was actually doing ok at this point- as long as I was holding her, so I sat in the back with her in my arms as Spencer drove the short mile to Urgent Care. As soon as we walked up to the counter to check-in Madi lost it! She was totally freaking out, telling me she didn't want to see a doctor, etc, etc. I calmed her down a little bit, but as soon as they were able to take her back she freaked out again. The nurse took one look at Madi's gash and told us we'd need to head to the ER- something about it being too deep, they could see the scull, needed to be done by a plastic surgeon, etc. I wasn't about to start asking questions- dealing with Madi's screaming was enough to handle at the moment. Spencer took care of the details and directions and we were off to the hospital. Madi was super calm on the drive over. She'd mention that her head hurt, but other than that I just enjoyed holding her in silence.

As we entered the Emergency Room, Madi lost it all over again. By this time I was super annoyed with her freak outs and lost my temper a bit. Spencer wisely asked me to hold myself together. We had to wait for awhile- in several different rooms, but by now I think Madi was understanding that she was going to have to see a doctor in order to go home. The first thing that helped calm her down was when she was given an ID bracelet. Madi thought that was super cool- to get a bracelet with her name on it.
She was also very fascinated about why everyone else was there and what happened to each patient. When it was finally Madi's turn to be seen she was actually pretty reasonable. Of course they have to ask what happened and what caused the cut, so Madi quickly became known as "the little dancer". Every nurse and even our doctor asked Madi about her dancing. It was nice to have so many friendly people helping us. One nurse heard that Madi had been super excited to go to church and the nurse told us that she was the Sunday School teacher at her church for kids Madi's age. This particular nurse let Madi pick out a stuffed animal to hold and squeeze while she was getting her stitches. The nurse also came back to check on us multiple times- which was super nice. When it came time to get the stitches, Madi was completely numb from the stuff she'd been holding against her cut. They wrapped Madi in a swaddle like blanket which I later decided she probably didn't need. Madi would be super still and then start to get clastrophobic. So naturally she start freaking out, yelling, "Get me out of this blanket! I can't move my arms!" I was basically laying on top of Madi- quietly talking her threw it, telling her stories, singing to her, and basically keeping her from moving. All and all I was super impressed with how brave Madi was. Spencer and I had always talked about how much we were dreading the first time Madi ever got a serious wound- she's our child who cried for a week straight about a little scratch she got on her knee. I think it helped that this wound was on her head and she couldn't see it. When all was said and done, the entire experience- from crashing into the wall (at 12:45pm), to getting back to my parent's house (4pm)- was pretty quick and not as terribly awful as I would have expected. I'm just grateful that it happened at a time when Spencer was with me. These are the kinds of things I would hate to have happen on a day at home, by myself, without the car. Now that would be awful!

I was super bummed that I didn't get a picture of her pre-stitched gash, especially when just before it was ready to be stitched up, I remembered that my camera was in the back of the car we had driven to the hospital (I hadn't taken it out after being at the temple the day before)! But here's the picture I took as soon as we got back to my parent's house.
Notice her cute little bunny friend. We haven't been able to find it since we got back from CA though- I thing we might have left it in Camarillo. Gotta remember to get it on our next trip back.
Madi's was great about making sure we applied the antibiotics the nurse gave us and changing the band aid regularly.
Madi's stitches were removed 7 days later (the day before we flew back home) by the doctor Spencer's mom works for. He was super great with Madi and she made sure to mail him a nice thank you after we got home.

2 comments:

Karlie Ann Ady said...

Holy Cow that is a good size cut! That's such a blessing she did so well! Hope it's healing well.

martyrudd said...

I loved catching up with all your posts. I had forgotten to see if you had written about the wedding and was happy to see more than one new post!!

Madi's scar will soon be so tiny. I remember your first real head wound...we were picking grapes for grape juice and you fell and gashed your head open. Luckily I'm the kind of mom who calmly takes charge because your dad is the one who can't go in and see the stiches!!

Your Mother's Day post....well sweetheart...now you know what I've been going thru these past 5 weeks as I clean up and repaint Karlee's room....saying good bye to a lot of hand prints, memories, laughter and tears!! It only gets better!! Now I have beautiful, sweet grandchildren who call me Gram and love me unconditionally....and when they're naughty I give them back to their parents!!!

The wedding post...priceless!!

xoxoxoMOM