
Photo taken by Debi Lassen. Thanks Debi for the awesome pic of the Jenkins boat!
The day after New Years day, with all the Jenkins family still in town (everyone was here except for Jeremy, Tanna, and their boys - Sydney showed up with Corinne and Morgan), Dad rented a sailboat for the day. Our good friends the Lassens also rented a sailboat for his family. What a perfect way to end a fun Christmas break! I was most excited because this time my girls were both old enough to come along. Our last sailing adventure (can't believe that was 3 1/2 years ago!) was when Madi was just 13 months old, so she stayed home with Boppi (who gets terrible motion sickness). I was super excited for both girls to have their first sailing experience! And this trip definitely didn't disappoint!

Even though we had a 35 foot boat, we couldn't fit everyone on at the same time, so we broke the day up into two groups: a morning group went out at 9am, and an afternoon group went out at 1pm. As co-captain, Spencer was out for the whole day, but the girls and I joined him at 12:45pm. I was worried that he was going to be so busy helping dad with the sailing that he wouldn't be able to help me with the girls, but I was very wrong. Spencer got his share of sailing time, but he also had lots of time to just hang out and spend time with his girls. Madi and Elle loved hanging out with their dad.



As for me, I'm not sure if it was being 7 months pregnant or just having a touch of motion sickness that handicapped me a bit. I didn't have the greatest balance and felt a touch queasy, so I mostly just stayed put- snuggled up next to Madi or Elle.

My motion sickness might have also been because on this trip, we actually did some serious sailing (unlike past trips when the wind was so light we could barely sail). At one point, I sat next to Lindsay, clutching her arm, threatening Spencer to stop sailing the boat at a 45 degree angle. I truthfully thought we might just tip over. Spencer and his dad just laughed, talking excitedly about how fast we were going! Madi seemed to get a little queasy at times too, but I'd just remind her to look off into the horizon. Elle wasn't fazed at all.

L-R: Madi, Jocelyn, Lindsay, Eric, Sydney, Captain Al, me
Elle just loved hanging out with her cousins...and the amazing dolphin show. For most of the day, we sailed in and out of a huge pod of dolphins - hundreds of them. It was awesome. Someone even said they saw a whale spout in the distance.

Big thanks to Captain Al for this fun adventure!
We stayed out and sailed with the dolphins as long as we could, enjoying the most gorgeous sunset on our way back!




Below: the Lassen's boat - sailing back into the harbor.

We got in a little before 6pm. Mom met us back at the docks with the rest of the gang who either didn't sail (Shaun, Tyler, Ashley, and Bailey) or who were in the morning group (Corinne and Morgan). We capped the day off with a delicious dinner on the boat - thanks Mom! Not a bad start to the New Year!!
2 comments:
Beautiful pictures!! It looked like an amazing day.
Great memories for my babies.
xoxoMOM
How fun, and what beautiful pictures! That sunset!!!
Post a Comment