Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Preschool Graduation

Last Wednesday was Madi's preschool graduation. Her little class of 8 had a small celebration in their classroom- first a potluck, followed by a movie Ms. Michele made from pictures and video throughout the year (I shed a tear while watching it), then singing by the kids, and lastly- handing out certificates. While the kids were at the table eating, the grandpa of one of the little autistic boys asked me if I felt Madi had benefited from being in this class. I was totally caught off guard by the question and had to stop and think about it. I definitely had my concerns about signing Madi up in a class with 6 autistic boys. I worried when she started picking up some of the inappropriate behavior and aggression I'd noticed in a couple of the boys. She didn't bring home much work, and the projects she did bring home was mostly stuff she'd just glued together. I know it didn't challenge her at all (not really the purpose for preschool anyway), BUT... there were many things that I did love about her little preschool class. I loved hearing about the friendships she developed with each of the kids in her class- at one point she was begging to have a play date with Armando. It was fun to watch Madi's love of science grow- the units on plants, animals, fish, and birds were Madi's favorite. I loved hearing about what they cooked every Thursday. And I especially loved the structure, routine, and entertainment it provided Madi with for 3 hours of every weekday (and for only $40 a month!!)! Definitely a great experience for Madi and me!
Madi with her teacher, Ms. Michele
Madi was thrilled that Boppi was able to come to her graduation!

The next day (Thursday, June 7th) was Madi's last day of preschool. I'm glad I snapped a pic of Madi as she walked to her classroom one last time for drop off. I know I'll forever cherish these pics from the "younger years".

3 comments:

Roxy said...

So cute! Will Elle go there next year? xoxo

martyrudd said...

SOOO sweet!! I especially love this last picture. She looks so grown up. I think it might be the way her hair is tied back...

I love you Madi girl. Congratulations on your graduation. Gram even remembers when your Mama graduated from the Baptist preschool....it was a very special day.

xoxoxGram/MOM

Marisa said...

Adorable! Such cute pics! Does Madi start kindergarten this fall?