Thursday, June 27, 2013

Beginning of summer

We're not even 2 weeks in and I'm already dying. Summer started off rough last week - with pink eye (Elle then Calvin), fevers (Madi and Calvin), chills (Madi), sore throats (Spencer and I), runny noses (Madi and Cal), upset stomachs (all kids), and has continued through to this week with pounding, throbbing headaches for me (what I think might be a sinus infection that I'm trying to fight through without a doctors visit).  I had high hopes of getting summer started off right, with some serious cleaning, organizing, goal setting, and summer planning, but then sickness hit and I found myself constantly listening to whining, crying, moaning, and complaining. Add that to the constant breaking up of fights and it's pretty much done me in.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a long summer. With Cal still napping twice a day, it gives the girls lots of time to drive each other (and me) totally crazy. I really miss our school schedule. It was good for Madi and Elle to have that 5 hour break from each other everyday. They were always so excited to see each other again by 2pm and we had no where near the contention we have now. There's just something about the dynamics of 2 girls, 2 years apart that creates a lot of picking, bugging, competing, and lots of jealousy.
Oh how I wish they were always this sweet to each other.

I'm really trying to get a handle on this new schedule and get the girls used to having "quiet time" again. I refuse to allow more than 30 minutes of TV a day and they can't earn it until all their jobs are done. It's been tough, but today we had a break through. Madi had her bed made before even coming out this morning. Then she quickly got started on jobs right after breakfast. Today she cleaned their entire bathroom without even a complaint. She even asked to use the "cleaning toothbrush" to really do a through job. Then she got ready for the day, did 4 workbook pages, and earned her 30 minute show by 9:30am.

Elle on the other hand was being especially defiant and refused to clean her area for the day. Finally, around 10:30am, after realizing she wasn't going to win, she gave up and did a phenomenal job organizing the playroom.

One good thing I'm enjoying about summer is having the freedom of being able to do fun stuff all together everyday. When Madi was in school she'd beg for us to wait for her to do certain things. Now we can all load up and head to the beach, park, library, or pool (our 4 regulars) and not have to worry about 2pm pick up or bumming Madi out because we did something fun without her.

Despite how crummy and exhausted the kids all felt last week, we still managed to get out everyday. I wish I'd taken a picture of Madi (who never naps) fast asleep in a lounge chair at the pool. Or on the swings with a raw nose from blowing it every few seconds. I totally miss having a neighborhood pool, so we try to take advantage of every pool invite we're given. Yesterday we got two invites so we hit up the pool at 11am and then again at 4:30pm!

A few things we were able to get done last week:
Clothes organizing! Elle's a pro with folding and sorting her clothes - I didn't have to help at all!
Bathroom cleaning, floor mopping, and window washing
Goal setting - none of which have been followed through with yet, but it sure was cute watching them decide and write them down. We'll be revisiting our summer goals next week.
Choosing which school papers to keep. Learned I have to do this alone cause Madi wasn't willing to toss anything. And no, she's not mad - she was just feeling the worst on this day.
Morning work-outs: one of Madi's summer goals.
De cluttering the art room! Don't you love how thrilled Elle is about it?! After dozens of threats and warnings, I actually ended up taking down Madi's art table yesterday and I am only allowing one art project a day. I was quite pleased with how much "other" stuff Madi did today instead of creating a huge mess with all her nonstop writing and drawings.
Play date with the Nelson girls (Maddi and Ella)! These four had a total blast together!
Yummy homemade popsicles!

We were also able to do crafts at the library, read to the dogs, check out new books, get hair cuts (Madi and I), visit the doctor, and play at the park. So I guess the week wasn't a total loss. Now we're looking forward to all the family we're going to get to see in July! Summer is always more fun when you've got lots to look forward to! And here's to hoping that we'll be sickness free the rest of the summer!

2 comments:

Summer said...

Sorry to hear you guys have had such a rough start to the summer, but amazed to find out all you still did while sick! Your comments about girls 2 years apart and the constant contention that comes a long with it makes me worry - mine are only 1 year apart!

p.s. - you're smokin' hot in the pool pic :-)

The Days of your Life said...

You can come to our pool anytime!! We miss you guys!