Sunday, June 23, 2013

Father's Day

A week late, but I have to take a minute and document a bit about the fabulous fathers I have in my life!

How lucky I feel to have such an amazing dad for my kids. I don't write a whole lot about Spencer on here (mostly cause he tells me to take it out when I do), but he sure is one incredible dad! Just a couple of things that make Spencer such a fantastic dad:
- He adores his children and makes sure they know it.
- He takes the girls on regular "daddy daughter dates".
- He's great about reminding them of their talents and how special, wonderful, and beautiful they are (every little girl loves being adored by their dad- at least I know I did)!
- He reads to them almost every night. Even when Spencer's trying to get out the door to work, he'll take time to read Calvin his favorite train book and lay him down for a nap.
- He's a great story teller and does all the voices and cool sound effects.
- He makes sure we have family prayer every morning before he leaves for work. He also sings a really annoying song to get the girls to come and won't stop singing until everyone is kneeling together ("Family prayer.... Family prayer.... Family prayer prayer prayer prayer prayer .....). While they act totally annoyed, I know they love it and will always remember it.
- He loves and adores me and makes sure the kids know it. Anyone that does or says something unkind to mom is gonna hear about it later from dad!
- He teaches, loves, disciplines, encourages, and is super involved!
We honored Spencer this year with a waffle breakfast. He had a 7am Sunday presidency meeting, but we made sure everything was all set up when he walked in the door. The girls were hungry so I let them start eating before Spence got home. Madi ate really slow so that she'd be able to eat with him when he got home.
Let's take a closer look at those sweet cards the girls made:

After breakfast I held down the fort and kept everyone quiet, so Spencer could take a nap. Cal wasn't feeling great on Sunday (which was actually the start of the week of sickness we've been enjoying over here), so Spencer took him home after sacrament meeting and got started on dinner prep. We had Spencer's dad, and his cousin Seth and wife Stephanie here for Father's Day dinner. Since I did very little of the work on the meal (just made the dessert), I made sure to do all the dishes afterwards. I was bummed that we didn't get any pictures of our fabulous curry meal and the wonderful company that we enjoyed it with, but I stayed pretty busy with kids who at that point were all starting to feel a little under the weather. Madi asked to go to bed at 5:30, Cal was in bed by 7pm, and Elle right after. It allowed us grown-ups a nice quiet evening though.

Since Calvin didn't make it into any of the pictures on Father's Day, I attempted one today. So much for that idea. He's been an absolute pill this week!
Spence wasn't too thrilled with "forced" picture taking either!

Not only do I have a wonderful father for my children, but I feel so lucky to have such an amazing father-in-law who we get to see pretty regularly. He is one of the kindest, most patient people I know. It's no wonder Spencer's such a great dad!

And how blessed I am to have a truly amazing dad in my life who has always been there for me. He'd drop everything in a heartbeat if I needed him.

How I love and adore all these father's in my life!

1 comment:

Dan and Bec said...

Great "header" picture.
I'm glad your girls helped to make Spencer's Father's Day special. I think that is the kids job...with help from Mama.
I've got a lot of blogging to do, I'm way behind. What are your Summer plans? We are headed for a 2 week trip to AZ and UT, it'll be EPIC!
Hope you're doing well.