Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Elle at FOUR!

Time for an update on Elle - since she turned 4 three months ago!
Elle is my mini me. I don't know if it's being the middle child or what, but she reminds me of how I like to think I was as a kid.

She's a natural when it comes to little kids. She's my #1 babysitter and takes care of Calvin every morning while I'm scurrying around trying to get breakfast made, lunches packed, hair done, clothes on, and Madi out the door by 7:50.

She's super responsible too! She wakes up the earliest, gets dressed on her own, then reads books on the couch while she waits for the rest of the house to wake up.
(This is her spot- wrapped up in blanket, bowl of dry cereal for munching, and usually a huge stack of books next to her.)

Many times I'll leave on an early run with instructions for her to wake up Spencer when she's done reading and have him help her get Cal out of bed. I'll come home and find her in Cal's bedroom playing and reading him books.

Elle is super thoughtful. Anytime she goes on a daddy daughter date with Spencer and they get a treat, she'll ask to bring home a treat for Madi too.
She doesn't like to see her siblings sad or upset. Anytime Calvin is crying, Elle will run grab his blanket, monkey, and/or binky and bring it to him with a hug and kiss, reassuring him that everything's ok. She and Madi make cards and draw pictures for each other when the other is sad.
Elle is great at making friends. I had a parent/teacher conference with her preschool teacher the other day, and Ms. Barbara commented on what a good friend Elle is and how she likes to play with everyone.

She really does. Elle makes friends everywhere we go. And she gets along with the boys just as much as the girls. She's a natural friend and doesn't get all emotional and sensitive about silly stuff. One afternoon awhile back, Elle brought her scooter and bike to the park and really wanted to share with one of her boy friends that was there. After offering him her scooter, he says: "It's pink! I don't like pink. It's a girl color."

Very cooly Elle responds: "It has black on it, black is a boy color."

Elle also plays really well on her own. I rarely have to entertain her. She's got a great imagination!
She's super sweet, but also has her quirks that can drive me absolutely crazy- like her early morning requests for me to fix her hair when I'm not even awake yet! Elle can't stand having her hair in her face and is really big into ponytails right now. It's funny how she'll go through hair styles. She'll find something she likes, then request that same hairstyle every single day!

It's hard to get mad at Elle and she actually is very sensitive when time-outs or having to apologize is involved. She'll seem stubborn, but inside feels terrible and will be on the verge of tears. 

Elle got her first ever canker sore (on her tongue) yesterday and has been in excruciating pain. When we said prayers last night, she asked Heavenly Father to help her "sore tongue" feel better. I think I said something to reassure her that she would definitely feel better after getting a good night sleep. Then when Elle woke up this morning she was being especially whiny, emotional and dramatic about everything. I lost my cool and told her to knock it off or she'd be spending the morning in "quiet time". Then she burst into tears and cried out, "But you promised me my tongue would feel better today!!"

Poor little girl! Broke my heart right there! I pulled her into my lap for a snuggle to tell her how sorry I was. I love how Elle helps me to remember to be patient. She helps me to be a better mom and I'm grateful for all that she teaches me. Love you Elle!!

No comments: