Last Friday I had a particularly scary incident at the pool with my little man. One I really don't want to write about, but I haven't been able to get it off my mind all week. After playing in the water for about an hour with my kids, I wanted a minute to relax. So I waded over to the kiddie end of the pool and sat on the step. I was in eye shot of all three kids (plus my friends' kid I was watching). Calvin was wading around at my feet, the water was maybe up to his waist line. Then one of my friends came and sat down next to me with her one year old. It was nice to have some company. I was fully aware of Calvin who was playing on the steps next to me. He begged for me to take off his water wings which I did since he was right next to me and wasn't going to go anywhere. My friend was catching me up on some other friends who just moved. I don't remember exactly what we were talking about, or how long it had been since I last looked at Calvin (maybe 5 seconds, maybe 10?), but when I turned my head. I saw him face down, arms out, floating on top of the water! In that spilt second my mind thought, "Oh look, he's swimming", but then just as fast dismissed the thought to, "oh my goodness, he's drowning!" All in this same second of time, I reached out and grabbed him out of the water. Thankfully he was fine. He didn't cough up any water, didn't seem to have even swallowed any. He cried immediately, but just for a few seconds. I think he was just scared if anything. I know I definitely was! My heart didn't stop pounding for a good 5 minutes. We sat there and snuggled the rest of the time in the pool til I called it a day and headed home.
It wasn't until that night when it really sunk it as to how fast a kid can drown. Spencer was especially disturbed by the whole thing and read me a couple articles about how drowning is the "silent killer". While it was particularly hard for me to hear at that moment, I know it's good for me to be more aware and cautious at the pool. I just couldn't get over how I hadn't even heard him fall. He didn't splash, cry, or struggle. It was quiet and quick. I guess you could say I'm grateful for this little incident. It's definitely taught me to watch my kids more carefully. Elle (who can't swim) was floating around in a little tube that afternoon. How quickly she could have gotten pulled down by another kid, or slipped under. And all it takes is a minute.
For days after the incident, I'd look at Calvin and the image of his little head, face down in the water, arms out, not moving, would pop into my mind. I couldn't help but then proceed to smother him with kisses and hugs. I vow to be a much more cautious mom from here on out because I don't ever want to think about life without one of my babes that I love so dear.

1 comment:
Oh my goodness, this is by far my greatest fear! After 6 years of lifeguarding I saw WAY too many times how quickly kids can have a brush with death in the pool! Another little-known danger is something called "dry drowning" - children who die several hours AFTER a near-drowning experience. I asked my dad (you know, my on-call family doctor!) about this and he said in his opinion all children who have any kind of near-drowning experience should be hospitalized for the following 24 hours for observation - it's that dangerous and quick! So scary!!! Sorry I am super paranoid when it comes to water. You didn't need that extra doomsday attitude, I'm sure. Um, anyway Happy Mother's Day! :)
Post a Comment