Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mother's Day 2014

Since I was away for my birthday this year, I was extra excited about Mother's Day! In my mind it was a second chance for Spencer and the kids to love, adore, and honor ME! :) Plus, last year was kind of a bust and I was excited to see some of the traditions that Spence and I had talked about doing, and teaching our kids, actually happen. I'm sure Spencer felt a little bit of pressure in making sure it was a nice day for me, but it all honesty I really just wanted a day of happy, helpful, non argumentative children! Oh, and I also requested a picture of the 3 kids with everyone's best smiles! Ya, that was a hard one. Especially since we were trying to hustle out the door in the morning for 9am church and then Calvin was exhausted after church.

The girls were over the moon excited about Mother's Day and spent the week making me all sorts of crafts, cards, and projects at school. You would have thought I had a dozen children with the amount of cards I had to open Sunday morning!
Unfortunately, my wishes for a morning to sleep in were crushed at 5:30 Sunday morning when I heard one of the girls come out of their bedroom. Of course I wake up to everything and had to go investigate. I found both girls squished together into the chair at the art table, excitedly working on another project. When I asked them what they were doing, they quickly shushed me away. I happily obeyed and crawled back into bed for a few more minutes of sleep, until they were by my side asking if I was ready to open all my presents! Oh boy! But how could I honestly be mad at these sweet little girls and their excitement to get Mother's Day started!
Notice the clock - it's not ever 6am yet! Thanks girls!

This was the card the girls were working on together at 5:30am:
On the back of the card they made a little pocket and filled it with all the change from their piggy banks. As they showed it to me, they quickly reminded me I'd need to pay my tithing first of course. Sweet girls. (I snuck the change back into piggy banks later).

This one Madi made at school:

One of my favorite cards was a little story:
"The Very Special Mom"
By Madilyn Jenkins
Once upon a time there was a very special mom. She worked for her children. She spoiled her children by doing fun thing with them. That's why they deserve a day everybody remembers them. I think they should have a day with more fun spoiling than just remembering them - like breakfast in bed and lots of others. Continued on the back of the card: Mother's Day is a special day that we do fun things to our mother's.


This is one story I wish were a little longer. I really want to know more about the "lots of other" stuff that happened when the "very special mom" gets spoiled.

Here's another card I thought particularly clever:
Madi drew pictures around the circle of things that are special/important/meaningful to me: home, family, clean house, mom and dad, beach, running, blogging.

Madi also gave me a pinch pot she had molded and fired at school - to put my jewelry in.

Elle had planted a flower and then stuck inside the flower pot was a picture of her taken at school, holding a sign that says, "I love you mom!"
 She made this one in her Primary class on Sunday:
Between school and church projects, and the girls singing in sacrament, my day was already off to a perfect start!

Spencer made Mother's Day dinner (I had requested taco salad). I felt a little guilty doing absolutely nothing to help. Instead I sat and watched "The Ten Commandments" with the kids! Spencer's parents were in Utah for the weekend, so the dinner was completely in my honor! Dinner conversation was the best - Spencer and the kids went around the table telling all the things they love about me! 
Then ice cream cones for dessert!
How grateful I am for these 3 sweet little kids that made me a mama!
Happy Mother's Day to all my favorite moms out there - those who inspire me in my desire to be a deliberate mom, those who encourage me when I'm having a rough day, and those who love and support me despite all my weaknesses. And I'm so grateful for my mama who helped me become who I am today, and my mother-in-law who raised a son perfect for me! Sure love these amazing women in my life!

No comments: