Thursday, April 17, 2008

Summer Plans

If you were to have asked me last year at this time if I was excited about moving to the East coast, I would NOT have been jumping for joy. I was very nervous about the big move, being so far away from family, and everything comfortable/familiar to me. However, it's funny how after living in the DC area for less than a year, it feels like home! I have been anxiously looking forward to the warm sun and hanging out at the pool with Madi. Of course, Spencer's summer plans are the determinative factor though. He has the whole summer off and has been considering numerous options. Being in DC, he initially planned to work for one of the many government agencies in the area, like the Dept of Justice. Not only are there lots of summer externship opportunities here in DC, but not having to leave our home for the summer is a BIG plus!! However, after some research and lots of thought, the opportunities available didn't seem as appealing. On top of that, since nearly every summer job available to first year law students is non-paid, that means more debt!! While Spencer was mulling over the opportunities available here in DC, the law firm he worked at in LA made him an offer to come back and work for the summer. There are obvious pluses and minuses!

The bad first. We will be gone for almost 3 months!! I'm a home-body. I love my own space, my own things, my own bed, my elliptical etc. Who doesn't? Not having my stuff can really throw a wrench in my routine. If anyone knows me-I'm all about routine! On top of that, I love living out here and I was looking forward to enjoying the DC summer-trips to the zoo, the museums, the parks, the pool, hanging out with friends, working with the young women in our ward, etc.

Now for the pluses. The biggest one: NO MORE EXTRA DEBT (at least for the summer). Spencer will get paid and we will live at his parent's home in Camarillo. Ya, we are keeping our place here in DC which means rent, but at least we will have some income and not have to borrow more just to live for the summer! While we won't be in our own home, in the grand scheme of things, 3 months isn't so long. Plus, we're really glad that Madi will get to know her grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. Since my parents live in the Bay area, I will get to split the time between Spencer's parents' place and my parent's place. Another big plus: we get to live in Camarillo for a couple of months. Who can complain about that? Glorious weather. Minutes from the beach. And...NO humidity!! No problem with that. For Spencer, working at his old firm provides awesome legal experience (its a litigation firm and that's what Spencer wants to do) that most law students never get the summer after their first year!! Plus, he loved working there and is excited to get back into the action! On top of all these "pluses", we already had to fly out west for my high school reunion (in Boise) and the Rudd family reunion (at Bear Lake) in August. So in other words, we're just going a little bit further west and leaving a few months earlier!

So, after lots of thought and prayer, California here we come!! We found $99 tickets from DC to LA on Virgin America-this airline is the best!! We flew with them when we went to Cali for Christmas and their planes are amazing! After we officially made the decision, I'm getting more excited about going. Although those sad feelings of leaving linger, we both feel like this is the right decision. On the bright side, we will potentially have two more summers here in DC if Spencer gets a summer associate position with a DC firm. And if that's the case, we could have many DC summers to come!!

16 comments:

Terry Family said...

Yeah!!! Dad mentioned that there was a possibility of you guys spending the summer in Camarillo, but he wasn't sure that you were sure with your plans. I just told Brittany and she is beside herself with excitement! We can't wait to see you guys! You can come down to our house when you need a little get away or if you need some warmer temperatures or air conditioning!

The Harpers said...

Doesn't it feel good to know what your plans are for the summer? What a relief! It sounds like you'll have a good time. I can totally relate to your plight. We're leaving Boston for 3 months too :(

Lollidale Farm said...

We'll miss you, but it does sound like the best option. Take lots of pictures and keep us updated!!

The Pickled Red Herring said...

ANIE DON'T LEAVE ME!!! I'm already an insecure mom of 2 with no idea what the crap I'm doing, Doreen & Marisa are leaving this summer as well, and poor Melissa might freak out at the prospect of spending another summer with only me as companionship flaking out on her all the time...

Okay the drama is over (it's a hormone thing)... but YAY I'm happy for you that you've got concrete plans now and everything is working out. We will just have to compact our summer time into a few weeks before you leave!

Valerie said...

It will be nice to see you guys again so I'm all for it!

Clark said...

Have you ever thought about moving to Dallas for the summer?!?!? Spencer could commute to LA! I heard it is pretty cool there(not temperature of course). We are probably going to have to continue paying rent here in Provo for the summer as well. So much money for not ever reaping the benefits! Love you guys. At least we'll get to see you in August.

Jones Family said...

I'm so excited for you to come back to California! We have to plan a trip to Disneyland. May 21st is so close, you will be here in a month. It's nice to live with someone, at least for a short amount of time. You will be able to focus all your attention on Madi.

Erin said...

How great! We spent first summer in DC at a firm, and it's nice to have the money. ;)

Have you thought about subletting your apartment? We sublet from a Georgetown Law student our first year. If you get the word out through the JReubs something might come up. We sublet our apartment both summers we were away.

To answer you're question, we'll be out in DC at the end of August/beginning of September. It'll be fun to hang out with you!

Lis said...

what? youre leaving for the summer? WHAT????!!! when were you going to tell me? oh my gosh! what am i going to do with the beehives all alone? ahh! JK! Im excited for you because i know if it were me... ID SOOOOOOOO be on that plane! Plus youll get to be a stay at home Mommy back where all of your friends and family are! Thats really cool. And cheap airfare! Holy COW! AZ is an entire STATE closer to MD and ive never found tickets that cheap!!!! Its meant to BE! I dont know why you ever had to think twice... i was sold at minute from the beach! haha!

Unknown said...

HOW EXCITING. We will have to hang out during the summer!

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

Congrats on making a big decision! I'm sure you'll have a great summer! Leaving home is hard though! We'll be in and out of CA for the end of May and June, so we'll have to find some time to get together!!!! I'm excited to see Madi!!! (And you too :) ).

Can you email me your address? I tried emailing you, but maybe you didn't get it?

JoSue said...

Oh man, another move. At least you can keep most of your stuff in your apartment though and don't have to store it somewhere else. That is way exciting you'll be in California. I'm sure Mom and Dad are glad to have you close again. Well, closer. :)

Safire said...

Awww...we will miss you soooo much this summer! But it sounds like a great opportunity for you guys. And great airfare!

Aunt Fay said...

Hooray for those of us in California!

Corinne Beede said...

Hip Hip Hooray... I'm so glad you guys will be so close... at least closer than MD! It just means that our chances are greater of seeing you guys! I miss everyone so much! I feel like I'm out in the sticks up here! If it weren't for Jeremy and Tanna living here, I NEVER would have survived this long! I need family!! J&T are blessing Austin May 25th, are you going to be this far west by then? I'm pretty sure L&S will be here, you know what that means?! If you guys come, we'll have EVERYONE here! Just something to think about... Love you!

Anonymous said...

Of course everyone from Cali would be excited for you guys to move out there because you guys rock, but the Gertschs are very sad that their gaming buddies are leaving them prematurely! It's a good thing we know that we'll see you again though after we move--thank goodness for Tisha in NC!!