Monday, June 23, 2008

Happy 96th Birthday Grandma Jenkins!


While it's always fun to come to Half Moon Bay, this trip had a VERY special purpose!! Spencer's Grandma turned 96 years old on Sunday!! Way to go Grandma!! Spencer and Grandma are very close-they talk on the phone every week without fail. For a very remarkable women who has lived a remarkable life, I asked Spencer to help me write a little tribute about Grandma Jenkins, aka "GG" to the great grandkids. Norma Bailey (Jenkins) was born June 22, 1912 in Revere, Massachusetts. Being a New Englander, she is strong, resolute, opinionated, and of course has that "Yankee Pride." She has never been afraid to "break the mold!" Not many women can say they worked in a shipyard as a welder of submarines during WWII! But, Grandma Jenkins can! She is a pioneer. On a train passing through Salt Lake City, Grandma struck up a conversation with a Mormon missionary just leaving on his mission. That initial conversation led to her being the first person baptized into the LDS church in Kittery, Maine. She eventually made her way to Utah, met and married a Wyoming cowboy (Spencer's Grandpa Howard Jenkins, "Papa") and the rest they say is history. Her husband, two children, five grandchildren, and soon to be nine great-grandchildren will all be eternally grateful for Grandma's pioneering spirit!! Grandma is always evolving. Grandma is a talented painter, pianist, and organist. But, after losing almost all of her eyesight, she did not cast aside her artistic ambitions, but reinvented herself-she taught herself to use the pottery wheel, learned to play the drums (and really knows how to throw down a beat!), took up writing and published three books, and that's not including her numerous short works of personal memoirs, poetry, and short narratives/memos on whatever is on her mind. Only a few years ago, she got her first computer and learned to use the word processor and email. She truly is an amazing person. Even with her poor eyesight, she has not given up her love of reading. With books on tape, she "reads" book after book after book. She is Spencer's most trusted book critic. Every Sunday, Spencer calls Grandma and always makes sure to ask her what she's reading and what books she recommends. Who needs the NY Times Book Review when you have Grandma!! So, here's to a remarkable woman!! Grandma, Happy 96th birthday. We love you!




What a GREAT birthday celebration!!




Four Generations!

8 comments:

Terry Family said...

Can I just put a link to this post on my blog?! Very well written, and a nice tribute to Grandma! I know she really enjoyed the weekend and having you guys around!

The Stones said...

You are having way too much fun. I loved catching up on your blog. Madi is too cute in her swim suit, (you look great too by the way) and the boating pics of her in the life vest, priceless.
ash

Cothran Family said...

Anie- your blog is so stinkin cute! I cant believe how adorable Madi is! And already 1! Wow! THat was a sweet tribute to Spencer's grandma. We miss you guys but we will see you in August in Utah. Cant wait! Havent seen Madi since she was 2 weeks old!

Lis said...

Thats so sweet Anie! I love that! What an amazing woman! Wow. Its so fun to hear about family history!

Lis said...

Oh and HAPPY 1ST BDAY TO MADI TODAY!

Lollidale Farm said...

What an amazing woman! And still going strong! How cool that you guys could be there for her birthday! Happy birthday to Madi, too!!

Jones Family said...

I love grandmas. That is so awesome she was a welder!!! That is a great tribute you wrote about her.

Marie said...

Hi, you don't know me but I'm doing some research on my family line - Minnie E. Jenkins is my ancestor through my Harris family line. She was the daughter of Palmer B. Jenkins and Henrietta Cronkhite, born 3 Aug 1897 in Queensbury, NY. Minnie had married a man named Louis Reginald Bidwell June 19 1918.
I believe her cousins were Abigail Jenkins (born abt 1880), Inez Abby Jenkins (born abt 1878), Ellen Eliza Jenkins (born abt 1876), and Augusta W. Jenkins (born abt 1874) all of Queensbury, NY and daughters of Freelon H. Jenkins and Jane M. Harris. Augusta W. Jenkins married John J. Barlow abt 1899.
The reason I'm contacting you is I'm LDS and was doing their temple work last night. I felt very inspired to find out all I could about this family. Are you possibly related?