To preface this party, may I begin by saying how silly I used to think parties for one year olds are. The kid doesn't really care if there is a party and they are certainly NOT going to remember any part of the party in the years to come. So basically, the party is always for the parents. However, after having Madi, and spending almost every moment with her for the past 12 months; watching her grow, develop, and learn many new things, her first birthday was DEFINITELY a day to celebrate! It's hard to describe the feeling that I had all day (it was very similar to how I feel when it's MY birthday), but I was just SUPER excited for it to be June 28th. With this said, it was VERY important to me that everything on her day go smoothly. I didn't want to feel stressed out or overwhelmed with anything! I made her cake the night before and even skipped my morning run to spend quality time in the morning with Madi. Thank goodness for all the help Spencer and I had in making this a special day for Madi (thanks mom, dad, Jocelyn, Lindsay, and Shaun)!!
Madi's guests began arriving a little after 1pm and they quickly headed outside to play.
While the kids played, the adults visited and munched on fruit kabobs (complete with mangos, strawberries, pineapple, bananas, grapes, and apples), chips, a delicious chili bean dip, salsa, and watermelon! Spencer used our video camera the whole day and got great coverage of the food, friends, and FUN. But since I was busy visiting and entertaining Madi, I forgot to take pictures of all those extra details. Luckily, I did get a picture of the cake table.....
With a closer look at Madi's cake- made by me and decorated by Spencer (with help from his mom:)
We decided to put Madi on a sheet, in the grass and let her "go at it" with her cake. Initially, I thought that she'd dive right in. However, she surprised us by being quite dainty. She first grabbed the elephant off the top, then began by taking a taste of the delicious pink frosting.
After only eating the frosting, and not really understanding that she could reach in and get some cake, I moved her to a table with her friends. I thought that maybe seeing them eating cake would help her understand how it should be done. Not really! She sure had a FUN time though! I think next time we'll just do a cupcake!
Since not all of Madi's friends were able to make it to her party, I thought I'd also include a picture of her opening a present from her friend Lexi that arrived earlier in the week (thanks Lexi and Lexi's mama- we miss you)!
With an early birthday party the week before, presents throughout the week, and a grand finale on Saturday, Madi was one lucky birthday girl! I was seriously sad at the end of the day when I put Madi to bed. I almost wanted to keep her up a little bit longer just to stretch her day out a little bit more. What a GREAT 1st year!!
8 comments:
We love you, Madi, and wish that we could have been there with you. Thanks Anie for all the pics and a diary of the day. Can't wait for July 14th when the two of you get back up here to Brentwood....we would take Spencer too!!
xoxoxMOM
HOW SWEET! Love the Cake Chef Spencer! Wow! Will you make one of those for Lexi? Were SO sad we missed the big bday bash! Next year! RIGHT?? She looks so cute in her necklace!!!
Can we have another party for her once you guys get back here? It looks like you had so much fun! Happy birthday, Madi!!
That was a lot of fun! I thought that Milana was going to attack Madi and that cake, but those girls are daintier that we thought.
yeah! what a fun birthday party- wish we could have been there to celebrate! madi looks adorable in both her birthday outfits! yeah for birthdays!! xoxo
Great looking cakes Anie!!! It's so funny to me how a child can be a crazy person at the dinner table UNTIL their birthday cake arrives and they actually have PERMISSION to make a mess--then they are dainty. Reina was the same way. Funny girls! Happy 1st birthday Madi!
Happy Birthday Madi!! The Gertschs love you!!!! Hunter is saving up all of his hugs and kisses for when you come down to NC!
I know I am finally catching up on my blogs. Thanks for inviting us to the party. I love the pictures of the girls together. They are all so cute.
Post a Comment