Saturday, April 4, 2009

April Showers and Pretty Flowers!

Spring is officially here and I couldn't be more excited about it! One of my favorite things about living in DC during the springtime is the Cherry Blossom Festival. While we haven't been downtown to enjoy it yet, I've been plenty happy enjoying all the pretty blossoms around our house. 


However, along with all the pretty flowers that bloom in the spring, we've also been blessed with lots and lots of RAIN! We've had several rainy days here this past week. And even though the days have been warm, it's been a little hard to get out and enjoy it.

Well, yesterday was an exception!! It POURED all morning long, then right as Madi was waking up from her nap, the clouds parted and out came the sun! Even with all the things we had to get done before the end of the day, I was determined to get out and enjoy the weather. Madi and I set out on a walk- she insisted on 2 things: ONE- that she wear EVERY necklace she owns and TWO- that she push her baby doll stroller! So we set out, me pushing the big stroller and Madi with her baby stroller. After stopping at EVERY passing dog, and looking at every bird and tree, we met up with Melissa and Lexi. I've been wanting to take Madi puddle splashing and Melissa knew just the place to go! We headed to the pond behind her house. Boy was that a task getting two determined toddlers to hurry! Once we got to the pond, they were in heaven though! There were PUDDLES GALORE! I was a little unsure as to how Madi would react to splashing around in dirty puddles, but she surprisingly loved it!


The girls would find a puddle, splash around, and then run to the next puddle on the path! Melissa busted out the camera to get some cute pictures of the girls, while I pushed along all our "stuff", encouraging the girls to keep walking!


Of course after seeing Lexi's pretty flower, Madi had to have one too!


Lexi had a genius idea of dipping the flowers into the water to give them a drink. So again, Madi followed suit!



FINALLY we made it to the blossoms!


The girls were excited about more "pretty flowers!"


By this time it had started to sprinkle. We set the girls up on a table together to get a few more shots! I so wish I had taken a picture of Melissa taking pictures- wearing shorts with rain boots, holding her black and frilly pink (of course) umbrella, while snapping away one handed! Luckily we got the girls to smile.  


Madi seriously adores her friend Lexi! When Lexi smiles, Madi smiles. When Lexi laughs Madi laughs. It's adorable watching them together. 

This has got to be my favorite shot of Lexi though, because she was laughing at ME!! That's right- Madi might not think I'm all that funny, but I know I can always get a good laugh out of Lexi!!

What a fabulous outing and a great end to a rainy day! With all the pictures that Melissa got to document our fun, I was also wishing I had one last picture of our walk back home. By the time we left the pond, the rain had began coming down harder and harder. I thought for sure that it would stop (since it had been raining off and on for the past half hour). Well, the rain DIDN'T stop! So with Madi strapped into her stroller, a plastic rain cover over the top, and a baby doll stroller hooked onto the back, I RAN all the way home! Oh, it must have been quite the sight for people- a big pregnant lady, drenching wet, running while pushing a toddler, in a stroller loaded down with junk. What a day! I was laughing hysterically by the time I got back to our house!

14 comments:

tylerandmommy said...

Those two girls are SOOOO cute. I LOVE all the pictures. I wish you and Melissa were close to me too so we could come along and play and Melissa could take AWESOME pictures of Tyler. Thanks for sharing.

Cothran Family said...

You are so lucky to have these amazing shots all the time! Your friend is so good. Even better to have good friends and good times.

Stacie said...

Too funny...wish we'd be out and about your place to catch you running home. Scott and I have yet to puddle jump but that is one of my favorite things too when I am in the right mood.

Popi and CeCe said...

TOOOOooooo CUTE!! What a fun day out in the rain and flowers!
Cheryl

Lis said...

I really LOVE your post! I was laughing the whole time reading it and wishing I had DRIVEN you home OR at least been there to take a picture of you soaking WET!!! Im so glad you can get Lexi to laugh and smile for pictures because I CANT! OH and im pretty sure it was Madi who first gave her flower a drink of water! Lexi has been following her lead a LOT since last Sunday! (you know, when Madi got crazy climbing on the chairs in nursery! haha!) Thanks for the fun! OH, and the way you described your self, running home- i was TOTALLY cracking up at the thought! Sorry about having to push all my junk around!!! Thanks for MAKING LEXI LAUGH!!!

Anonymous said...

Super cute outfit!! I LOVE seeing these two girls together. They look like they have a BLAST together! I would've paid good money to see you walking home with your pregnant self, Madi, and your loaded stroller in the rain!!

Corinne Beede said...

Madi and Lexi are so adorable! I miss Madi and you guys so much! Make sure she doesn't forget who we are! Love you!

Melissa said...

What a fun day, and the pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!

Gretch said...

Those are AMAZING pictures! Your friend must have an awesome camera. Madi sounds like such a fun girl~wanting to wear all her necklaces~what a cutie! I really hope to meet her someday.
Puddle jumping sounds so fun.

Jocelyn said...

What adorable pictures. i was just looking at your baby countdown...only 100 days left!!!miss you all lots!

Jones Family said...

You guys do such fun things! I can only imagine how silly you looked running, prego, with a stroller full of CRAP!!!
I never thought of actually letting my kids splash in puddles. I'm always telling them not to. Next time it rains... we are going puddle splashing. You are a cool mom!

Jones Family said...

You guys do such fun things! I can only imagine how silly you looked running, prego, with a stroller full of CRAP!!!
I never thought of actually letting my kids splash in puddles. I'm always telling them not to. Next time it rains... we are going puddle splashing. You are a cool mom!

Marisa said...

Those girls are so cute!! I love the picture of Madi smelling the blossoms - so adorable! That is pretty funny that you had to run through the rain with all the stuff! Since having Brielle I feel that I often provide comic relief for others when doing things like that!

Philip and Melissa said...

How nice is it to have a girly girl daughter! I would have to bribe mine to wear those cute little necklaces and girliness. Those pics are so sweet!