Madi and I went to the White House this morning (along with 3 of my good friends and 4 of Madi's buddies). I was definitely grateful for the opportunity to be there and glad that we went, but I can't say that my experience of the Easter Egg Roll was what I was expecting! The picture above portrays only a small fraction of the crowds that we got to deal with today. When I first learned about the Easter Egg Roll, I only heard AMAZING things- that it was loads of fun, there's lots of great activities, awesome entertainment, and you get tons of FREE stuff! I'm guessing things have changed a little because this was not my experience. First of all, the whole ticket process was different, making it much harder for locals to get tickets. Second, you're given a time slot- but I learned that this doesn't mean you'll be let in during that time. Third, there are lots of great activities available, but the lines to participate in them are longer than the time alloted for us to even be there.
Leaving the house at 9:15am, riding the Metro into the city, walking to the White House, RUNNING to get in line, and then waiting forever in line, left me tired and hungry by the time we even got through the gate.
Melissa and Lexi dancing to the music!

Just to prove that we were there.
Let us OUTTA here!!
It was short lived though; the next thing I know we hear an announcement that our group was scheduled to leave. Not wanting to get stuck behind a bunch of people, we packed up our restless kids and exited the lawn. Oh, but don't you worry- we WERE able to get our free commemorative wooden souvenir egg signed by the President and First lady! Ya, definitely made that whole thing worthwhile! :)
In case you're interested, you can buy them online for $7!

14 comments:
That totally stinks! I have talked with so many people who went, and you are completely right--NOTHING like it was before. When we went, we got free food, tons of candy, books, concerts, no lines (only the line to GET the tickets on Friday night). I'd say, SOMEONE really messed things up this year!
(now I feel bad for all of the complaining I did about not getting in!) ;)
WOW! You posted BEFORE ME!!! I guess im just waiting on Candis. I really want to post my smurf picture!! haha! It was fun at least, hanging out with you and Madi and Becky and Candis! Stupid Egg roll. Seriously. At least we got to go. And we can say we went!
At least now you can say you've done it and you'll never have to do it again :)
ARGH!! That's what I think. We got to go and for that I am grateful, but what a stupid load of line waiting crap. I have a friend who was in one of the "VIP" groups from 9:45-11:45 and they gave her a group C wristband ALSO so she could stay until 1:30. Where was our second wristband to stay longer?!! And Melissa, I will send you the smurfette picture VERY soon.
Hearing about all your waiting in line made me tired!!! I HATE lines...seriously. You are a much better person than me to even go out and deal with all that. Really cool that you were at the White House though. Not very many people can say that!
I bet lines were crazy because everyone wanted to be there for Obama's first year in office. Last year people probably could've cared less about Bush even though I would've still gone. Those eggs you got are pretty cool.
I will probably be the last to post! Diddo to everything you said...I didn't get many pictures, oh well. The best part of the day was being with great friends. Thanks GALS!
At least you got a cool picture out of it. That sounds tiring to me also. I hate lines.
I think it's totally worth it for the pic of you and madi in front of the white house- you'll have to frame it- she'll totally appreciate all the effort someday! love you guys! xoxo
you know this is really tish
Those things always sound so fun...but the crowds make fun go down the tube. Such a cool experience though! I love the picture of you and Madi. So neat!
Wow, sounds awful! Not my idea of a good time. At least you got those cool eggs.
okay this post is collecting DUST and its SOOOOOOOO last week. COME ON ANIE!
I'd stand in lines to be able to say I went to the annual white house easter egg roll. Can you buy an egg roll there? I think I would like to eat egg rolls at the easter egg roll.
Post a Comment