Saturday, April 11, 2009

CrA-Zy FUN with the Calhouns!

This past week we had the Calhoun's visiting from NC. Tisha, Adley, and Ani arrived on Monday and Curteis flew in Thursday evening. What a fun, crazy, action packed week we had!! 

They arrived Monday afternoon in time for dinner, a little bit of play time, and a FHE lesson on "Sharing" (ya, I was thinking ahead when I planned out this weeks lesson! Truthfully, I do actually think it helped with sharing issues throughout the week)! 

Tuesday we headed into the city to hit the museums. While we had hopes of getting to the Natural AND American History museums, we only had time for one- so to the Natural History Museum we went. Since museum pictures never seem to turn out on my old relic of a digital camera, I won't include any of my attempts to get a good picture of the all our fun. Instead here's a picture of us on the Metro, riding into the city. While it might not look like it, riding the train was definitely one of the highlights of the week for the kids! 


Wednesday we decided to stay close to home and make sure that the kids got their naps! We made a trip to the temple in the morning (you'd think we'd pulled up in front of Disneyland with how excited all three kids were to see the temple)!

After naps we dyed and decorated Easter eggs. 
Aren't they just the most attentive audience you've ever seen!
Tisha really got into the "dying" part of the eggs. My syringe helped give the eggs their tie-dyed look! 

The eggs turned out beautiful if I do say so myself. We made sure to make a bunch so the kids would have some to find in their egg hunt on Friday and lots to eat throughout the week. Unfortunately Tisha and I weren't thinking about the need for eggs to be refrigerated. Instead, they were left out, displayed neatly on the counter for over 24 hours before we realized our mistake. Sadly, all these cute eggs had to be tossed into the trash! 

Thursday we were blessed with gorgeous weather, which lucky enough was our ZOO day! The beautiful weather definitely compensated for all the crowds. 




Friday we had plans for the Smithsonians and Cherry Blossom Festival, but changed our minds after Tuesdays city trip-this week was Spring Break and let's just say we were done fighting the insane crowds!! Instead we headed to the Air and Space Museum in Virginia. Spencer, Madi and I  had been there in January, but Madi never seems to get sick of seeing airplanes! The kids definitely had a blast (see videos below)!








That evening we got our first real babysitter (someone other than family or close friends) so that Tish, Curt, Spencer, and I could go into the city for dinner. Not sure if it counts though since we put all the kids down in bed before we left. I can definitely say that it's much nicer riding the metro and walking around DC without kids! This was my first time doing it and we definitely had a fabulous night in the city!

This morning before the Calhouns had to leave, we had an egg hunt for the kids. I was sure Madi would love looking for her "green" eggs (each kid was given a different color to find), finding them, and putting them into her basket. Well, things went a little different than planned. After finding her first egg, pulling  it open, and seeing that candy came spilling out, Madi began inhaling candy as fast as she could. I ended up following her around to regulate her voracious consumption of jelly beans and m&m's. Hence, no pictures of the "hunt".



A few other highlights from the week include:

Bath time (of course)! 

Reading bedtime stories together. Madi's tent was a hit!

Meal time! The girls in their matching PJ's enjoying a yummy breakfast of Kix and Chex! 

Quiet time

And LOTS of play time!



Thanks Calhouns for the awesome week! We love you guys and can't wait to see you again soon!


7 comments:

Jones Family said...

I love your blogs of the fun things you do in D.C. I'm totally making a list of everything I want to do with you guys in 6 WEEKS!!! I counted the days tonight... 45!
I want to add to the list... dinner in the city without the kids. That sounds like so much fun!

Jones Family said...

I love Madi's necklaces in ALL the pictures!

Lis said...

WOW! Thats a fun LONG post! Im so glad I got to finally meet your sister and THANKS again for taking me to the zoo with you guys!! Ani and Madi looks so cute in their matching pj's!!! I LOVE YOUR EGGS too! We were just realizing we never did any eggs. DANG. NEXT YEAR RIGHT?

Clark said...

Dude, Bobby made those EXACT SAME EGGS with Matthew and also left them out on the counter and had to throw them away. I told him to feed them to Matthew. He said that wasn't funny. Anyways, happy Easter.

Curteis said...

I seriously just need to cut and paste your post into mine- you did a great job! Thanks for all the fun- we can't wait until next spring break for even more action-packed fun! (and a full-day babysitter! :) we love and miss you guys! xoxo

JoSue said...

Holy cow! What a fun week!! You guys are such good hosts---always having fun activities and sight seeing to do! Wish we could have been there. Clark would have probably stolen all the candy from the Easter eggs but still, would've been fun. :) We didn't do anything for Easter. Bob came over and we went to the park for a bit but that was it. We definitely need to get on the tradition thing and start something. Spencer's lamb looked AMAZING and I'm the EXACT same way you are...anything but chicken is a little sketchy. Glad Madi enjoyed all her 'spring' gifts! Love you guys xoxoxo

emily snyder said...

wow, i sure love and miss you!!
i am wanting to come out in july - when are you due??