Saturday, January 23, 2010

Isn't it about time!?

My daughter is 2 and a half and she still sleeps with her binky. There I said it! Ok- well that statement's not entirely correct. She did sleep with her binky every night of her life until tonight! We finally did it, we cut off the binky! It was a big day for me. Seriously, I've been nervous about it for awhile. Yesterday I was really stressing- ask Spencer! He's been wanting to get rid of the binky for a long time and I finally agreed to his nagging. We've been talking to Madi about being "almost 3" and not needing her binky for a few weeks now. I wanted to do a slow and gradual cut off. So we went from her having the binky whenever she wanted (a year ago), to only having it in her bed, to then getting it right before going to sleep (had to set this last rule cause Madi was wanting to spend way too much time in her bed- just to suck on her binky)! I knew the next step was to take it away completely, but it was just something I didn't want to deal with- first cause I was pregnant, then because we had a new baby..... but now with Elle sleeping through the night there's no more excuses!

So this morning we headed over to Build-A-Bear. Madi was thrilled. Before leaving we made sure to pack up all her binkies. We told Madi that if she wanted to take a friend home with her, she was going to have to pay for it with her binkies. She was never too happy about this idea and I truthfully thought it wasn't going to work.

But as soon as she picked out a favorite friend I knew I was wrong. I handed Madi the bag of binkies and she quickly agreed to give them away in exchange for her new monkey.

Madi helped stuff the monkey. She even picked out one of her binkies to put inside!

Then after a quick bath. . .

birth certificate making (Madi lovingly chose the name, "Anie Monkey"- thanks Madi). . .

and outfit choice. . .

Madi was ready to purchase her new friend!

Way to go Madi! I'm so proud of you for being such a big girl and willingly giving up your binkies for a new friend. If anyone knows what you're going through it's me. I was in your shoes exactly 27 years ago!

As for how it's going.... nap time this afternoon was rough. She cried for an hour straight, was quiet for maybe 20 or 30 minutes, and then cried for another half hour. When I got her up from her "nap", she happily tells me, "I was crying for my binky. Let's clean up this mess (pointing to her animals on the floor) so that we can find it!" After lots more reminding about giving her binkies in exchange for Anie Monkey, Madi went to sleep tonight without a fuss! I couldn't believe it! She talked in her bed for about 2 hours but was asleep by 9pm. I'm crossing my fingers that she doesn't wake up a gazillion times, crying for her binkies.

17 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh boy you will have to update on this to let us know how night sleeping goes. I am seriously struggling right now as to when I should take the binky away from Max- before baby, or wait until he is Madi's age. It makes me nervous!

Kimberly said...

Congrats! What a great idea to have her "pay" for her monkey with her binkies... I'll have to remember that one!

Jones Family said...

That is a really good idea, pay with your binkies. Right now I'm wishing that Luke would take one, but I guess in the long run I won't have to take them away.
Good job Madi!!!

ps. we are going to South Carolina this year. I'm sad, no trip to DC this year :(

Dan and Bec said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan and Bec said...

Way to go Madi! That was a great idea Anie, I hope you night was a quiet one!

tylerandmommy said...

Way to go!! You DID it! It will probably be a rough week and then everything will be fine. What a cute Anie Monkey!

Lis said...

I cant tellyou HOW many times I laughed out loud reading this! Thanks! I needed that! So funny. Anie Monkey?? hahah! Thats cute tho! And way to do it! I still cant believe she had one. I thought you DID THIS. But Madi is a smart cookie, shell get over it quick! (seems she already has!) unless she tore her monkey open and stole her old binky out!!! haha! Better check it for holes! jk!

Jocelyn said...

Way to Go Madi! I cant wait to meet Anie Monkey!I love you...Love Joci

The Hansen Family said...

Anie this is such a good idea! And I love that you put one of the binkies inside the monkey!

Brilliant.

It took us just about that long (2 years) to get rid of Ethan's binky too, but it's SOOOOOOOOOOO nice when you don't have to worry abou it anymore! Congrats on the new and improved bedtimes. I'm sure it'll stick.

Your girls are so darling!

Tisha said...

I was totally thinking the same thing as melissa....she's going to have a thought one night in her bed "wait, I know where one of my binki's is!!" hopefully "anie-monkey" will be spared a late night attack!

Kirsten said...

Congrats on going through with your plan! I love that you have pictures to document it!

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

Go, Madi, go!!! I love that she "paid" with her binkies and put one inside Anie Monkey! So cute. And I agree with everyone else...better keep the scissors at a safe distance from Madi and Anie Monkey!

Chuckleheads said...

Seriously adorable photo of her paying for her monkey with a bag of binkies. I'm just thanking my lucky stars that Bella never wanted a binky...ever. :)

Safire said...

What a great idea! And she picked out a cute monkey!

martyrudd said...

I remember when Madi was here over New Years and she got into my desk drawer up in the office and found a pair of scissors....She was very careful to ask me about them before touching. When you told me about ANIE MONKEY on the phone, the first thing I thought about was Madi finding those scissors in my office. Let's hope that if she finds a pair of scissors at home, she will ask you about them first before touching!!!! That hidden binky could be a REAL TEMPTATION~~just like it was for you at 2 1/2!!
GOOD LUCK!! xoxoxMOM

Cristin said...

I hope it works out! I took Luke's away around that same age and he stopped taking naps!!! It was awful.

Andrew said...

just think, when she has her own baby, she could surgically cut open Anie Monkey, reunite with her lost binkie and give it to her baby...
Pretty cool!