
I'm happy to report that taking away Madi's binky has gone incredibly well (so far). If I would have known it was going to be this easy I'd have done it a long time ago. Well. . . probably not- I actually wonder if it's gone so well because she's older and much easier to reason with. Who knows! Much to my surprise, Madi has not yet had the desire to cut open Anie Monkey to dig out her old binky. In fact she didn't even ask about her binky at all yesterday. As for how she's sleeping without it:
Saturday night- after 2 hours of talking and reading in bed she fell asleep and did NOT cry the entire night! I was thrilled! She had one little nightmare, called out once for Mommy, but then went right back to sleep.
Sunday we weren't home from church until 2:30, she talked and read in her bed for 2 hours- no nap, but more importantly- NO CRYING!!
Sunday night: Went to bed a little later, but fell asleep within minutes!! Two hours later woke up crying. Luckily I hadn't fallen asleep yet so I was able to think calmly and rationally- flipped on the bathroom fan and closed our bedroom door. Cried for no more than 25 minutes.
Monday: She took a glorious 3 hour nap this afternoon and then went to bed tonight perfectly! It's 11pm now and I haven't heard a peep from her room, so I'm crossing my fingers that it really was that easy.
Note: I probably should include that I did throw in one little additional piece of bribbery. Madi's been asking about a bike for awhile. So Saturday night, fearing that she'd wake up screaming in the middle of the night for her binky, I busted out the famous sticker chart which solved her "getting out of bed issues". I drew a picture of a bicycle and marked off 20 spaces. Then I explained to her that she'd get a sticker every night she didn't cry and after 20 stickers we'd go get her a bike. It's actually worked like a charm. She's stopped asking for her binky and is now asking for her bike!
*Update- February 1*
It's now been 9 days since Anie Monkey joined our family and since we saw the last of the binkies (well, at least for Madi that is). No crying has happened since the first weekend and even better- Madi doens't even ask about her binkies anymore. Spencer and I are both incredibly shocked at how easy it was. Madi is still napping, but only about every other day. She's happy about having the quiet time though (2 hours spent in her bed- reading books, singing, and talking to her dolls and animals). Those days (the ones without a nap) Madi's in bed for the night, asleep, by 7pm! Makes the no nap totally worth it!
One milestone down- 2 BIG ones left to go (potty training, and moving into the same bedroom with Elle)!

7 comments:
shoot! I was going to ask you if you wanted that little purple bike I have! Lexi wont ride it. We could throw it in the car when we head out.......... unless you want to buy one first! =) Glad its going well fro you.
Wow, what a big girl Madi is! Eric has that same Monkey. He didn't name it Anie Monkey though! I bet Madi doesn't even remember she has a paci in her monkey and before long you could probably try to give her a paci and she won't want it! Way to go! Oh, one thing we have done with our kids when they wake up crying, we will say a little prayer with them, and when they are old enough, we tell them to say their own prayer. That usually does the trick! This is Lindsay, not Brittany!
what a stinkin' good idea! Love the binky inside the monkey. Brilliant Anie. Mac just got rid of his a few months ago. He had one left and he sucked it till it broke and he was mad at it and decided he didn't want it anymore. You are smart to do the bike motivation :) Nothing like a little bribery, if it works...
Sometimes bribery is necessary when it comes to two year old minds. I'm glad things are going so well! If you want Madi to try out Tyler's bike before you buy one let me know.
Bribery hasn't failed me yet!!! Yay for no more binki! Grayson was my only real binki baby. When we took all of his away, I remember he had stashed one that I didn't know about. One day he just walks into the kitchen, reaches way back into a cupboard under the counter and pulls out a binki! Stinkin' brat!!! Those binkis are like crack!! But, who am I to judge, I'll never be able to give up my diet coke, so good job, Madi! Giving up an addiction is always hard! Love you bunches!!!
I'm glad it's going so good for all of you!! Madi definately did a lot better than you did, but I guess your NAPPER DOG you exchanged your binkies for wasn't as cool as ANIE MONKEY!!
xoxoxoMOM
I love those cute jammies! What kind of a bike are you going to get her? A tricycle or bike with training wheels? Hannah taught Gavin how to ride his trike, she was thrilled when he finally conquered it! Can't wait to see Madi riding her bike around with her little pig tails!
Post a Comment