Sunday, August 18, 2013

Camp-out!

Trying to fit in all the summer fun that we can, Spencer and the girls decided it was time for some backyard camping. Last year was such a success (minus the 4am sprinklers) and it's great practice for when we actually take the entire family camping.  Cal's still not ready to sleep outdoors, but he enjoyed all the set up.
Our fire took awhile to get going. At first it was just a lot of smoke:
The girls couldn't wait for s'mores:
Finally Spence got a fire blazing and we were able to make real s'mores.
The girls couldn't hardly wait to get into bed. They all snuggled up with Spencer who's the best story teller! He told story after story until it was dark and the girls were falling asleep. I talked Spencer into sleeping in the house cause I knew he wouldn't get much sleep out there with the girls rolling around all night, but he felt totally guilty about it the entire time. I guess he woke up tons, listening for the girls, and when I finally heard Elle waking up around 7am, he ran out there and jumped into bed with them!
And of course Cal was excited to join in on all the fun!
Backyard camping is the best! Totally the way to do it with little kids!
Then I made pancakes and hot cocoa for a cool foggy morning breakfast (before I ditched out on everyone to go on my run).
Now we just gotta get a bigger tent for Cal and I to join in on the camping action next year!

1 comment:

Terry Family said...

We went camping last weekend...the kind of camping where you load up everything but the kitchen sink in the back of your car and then have to drive 2 cars because there isn't enough room for the people you packed all that stuff for. The dutch oven dinners and breakfasts, quality family time, Scary Stories to tell in the Dark, and paddle boarding on the lake made it all worth it! We found a brand new REI tent on Craigslist to house all of our little people, and I think it may become an annual tradition. Hope you guys can venture out of the backyard into the great outdoors for your next camping trip. I highly recommend it!