Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Day of School!!

It was a total success! The entire day was fabulous! 
We took Madi to school at 8. She didn't seem nervous at all. She sat right down, had me kiss her hand, smiled for a picture, and then I was off! 
Elle, Cal, and I drove back home to clean up from breakfast and get ready for some errand running. We hit up Costco then Target (which was so much easier with just the 2 kids), then home to unload before taking Elle off to preschool.
Elle got into Ms. Barbara's class this year, going Mon-Thurs 12-3pm (and only costing us $60/month)! Ms. Barbara is amazing, I was thrilled when I heard Elle got her as a teacher!
After dropping Elle off, I raced home to lay Cal down for a nap (totally shocked he actually lasted till noon). He was down by 12:20, giving me a whole hour and a half to myself!! I wasn't even exactly sure what to spend my time on. I thought about taking a nap, but ended up responding to emails and texts, uploading pics from the morning, cleaning the kitchen, and going through papers. I felt super productive! I just wanted all my stuff done so that when I brought Madi home I could sit down with her, have a snack, and hear all about her day. 

When I picked Madi up at 2pm she ran right out and gave me a big hug. I loved seeing her so happy and excited. Then I made her give me a play by play of her entire day. My favorite story was about a new friend she met. She told me how at recess she and this new friend were talking so much when all of a sudden they looked up and realized they were the only ones left at the lunch tables. Everyone, even the "supervisors" had already gone out to the playground. Made me so happy to hear she made a good little friend!

I loved having that time to talk to Madi about her day. Last year I'd want to hear about school, but then I'd noticed Elle feeling bad or wanting more attention so I'd try to downplay my excitement. I think this new schedule is gonna be great cause it'll give me alone time with each of my kids. At 2:45 we were off to pick up Elle. She also came out super excited, telling me about what a great time she had and how nice her teacher is. Then both the girls started asking each other about how their first day of school was (I couldn't stop smiling).

A cute little story about Madi's day: she was given a writing assignment in class entitled, "My best friend can..." Madi chose to write her story about her best friend, her sister, and she drew a picture of Elle hanging from the bar on our mini trampoline. I loved how Madi was beaming as she told me all about it.  Oh how wonderful it is to give these girls time apart to remind them of how much they love each other!
After picking up Elle, we headed over to Boppi and Grandpa Al's to hang out and let Boppi hear all about the girls day. Then Boppi made us all a delicious dinner of Lemon-Zucchini Fettuccine (from Our Best Bites). A wonderful end to our fabulous day!!

It's gonna be a great year!!!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

That Cal is adorable! And I am hoping once my kids are in school it will help them remember how much they like each other too- summer is killing me!