Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patty's Day!!

I love how kids can make a not very exciting holiday (in my opinion) into "the best day ever" (words that came from Elle's mouth today)!!
Madi's morning journal writing at school today.

I had no intentions of doing anything spectacular to celebrate today- school teachers usually do a great job taking care of that, but when I saw the girls writing letters to "Lucky the Leprechaun" last night, I started thinking I ought to at least recognize the holiday. SO . . . this morning I got up and made green pancakes for breakfast. It was good, but not magical enough. I heard the girls talking about the letters they'd written to Lucky- the ones they'd hidden under their pillows- and were going to go check to see if they were still there. Luckily, "Lucky" made it to the letters before the girls checked. They could hardly believe the letters were gone! When had Lucky come? Where had he put the letters? The girls spent the next 15 minutes searching the house for clues. They found a mess in the playroom and were sure Lucky was the one who had made it. Then they started checking for anything out of place or out of the ordinary. I stood at the griddle, flipping pancakes, totally laughing at their conversation. Elle couldn't believe that our pancakes were green and kept asking me HOW they turned green. WHO did it? I played along as best I could - especially when Elle found the letters to Lucky hidden under a book on my bed (a big time close call - one I barely talked my way through, and thankfully her 4 year old mind didn't read too much into it)!
Then it was the rush off to school. I dropped Elle and Cal off at a friend's while I headed to class with Madi for reading. Totally forgot to get a picture with all 3 kids in their green (outfits they'd all layed out the night before). Snapped this one while I was listening to one of Madi's classmates read. Madi kept that Shamrock headband on all day!
It was a busy afternoon (Costco run, Elle to school, visit from the plumber to fix a running toilet and dripping shower, then a PT conference with Madi's teacher) and when we finally got home at 3pm, the girls were shocked to find notes from "Lucky" (written in green paint with little green footprints all over them) sitting on the kitchen table!
I'm sure Lucky couldn't resist writing back when he finally read the letters they'd written to him:
I love the magic that simple holidays bring to little kids! 
Such a FUN St. Patrick's Day! 

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

What a fun day!! A little leprechaun dyed Michael's milk green and left him Lucky Charms for breakfast ;) Can't wait until Collin is old enough to enjoy the holiday with us! I also love Madi's picture of "Luky and Elsa"...somebody has been watching Frozen ;) Miss you guys!! xoxo Aunt Joci