Tuesday, April 1, 2008

9 months


Madilyn turned 9 months old last week. Yes, I am a little behind in posting this, but I wanted to wait until after her doctor's appointment so that I could include her stats. Is is just me, or does anyone else get excited for weight and measurement time? I love seeing how much she has grown. Madilyn continues to grow at a nice, steady pace. She always gains about 1 pound a month and grows 1/2 an inch per month. She weighed in 17.75 pounds (30th percentile), measured 27.75 in. (57th percentile), and her head circumference is 17.75in. (77th percentile). This doctor's appointment didn't go as well as all her others have though. Madilyn currently suffers from stranger anxiety! Yes, it is SUPER annoying! She is totally fine when I am right there with her, but when she can't see me or if someone else holds her, she looses it. I really try not to baby her, keeping her away from strangers, but I also don't want people annoyed with my baby because she's screaming hysterically. I hear it's just a phase and that with time, it will pass. We sure hope so.

A few highlights of this past month include:

1) Madi developing a rhythm! Anytime music is on, she rocks back and forth with quite exaggerated movements. It's super cute to watch. She loves listening to her "Ipod", pushing the buttons to play song after song.

2) She finally claps. We've been working on this one for awhile now. She always wanted to keep her fists closed when she'd clap, but now she gives nice, big, open-handed claps!

3) Mastering the ponytail on top of her head! Madi no longer crys when I try to put one in. She is very good to sit, and quietly play while I "fix" her hair.

4) First poop in the potty!! Well, it was really only happened because I saw "the grunt" starting, allowing me to quickly whisk her out of the tub and onto the toilet in time to do her business. Oh the things we get excited about! :)

5) Letting me know when she wants to eat, when she's done, and which foods she enjoys. It's pretty hilarious listening to Madi eat something she really likes because with each bite she makes a very loud, "ummmm" sound! It's such a great feeling knowing that Madi appreciates the meals I make for her!

6) Becoming much more mobile. Madi has finally learned that she can move and get to things farther away. She now goes from sitting, onto her knees, but then quickly down to her stomach where she uses her legs to shimmy like a snake. I keep showing her how much easier things would be if she'd use her knees. Oh well, all in due time!

7 comments:

Safire said...

Nobody is going to be annoyed because she cries for her mommy. :) Everyone goes through it. It just shows that you and her have a good bond and that she's doing well. :) Good job to you! *pat pat pat*

Lollidale Farm said...

Haha! Madi is well ahead of Andrew, then, because he has yet to poop on the toilet! Way to go, Madi! She is beautiful as usual!

Terry Family said...

Pooping in the toilet? Is that why you had a toilet seat in your garage sale stash? Don't be dissapointed if it takes another year and a half until she uses it! Way to go with the clapping! I remember Brittany learning to clap, but sadly, I don't really remember that milestone with the other two.

The Harpers said...

The stranger thing is already wearing off with Reina. She still likes us best, but she warms up to others MUCH faster these days. I think Reina needs to come and visit again and teach Madi how to get moving (or maybe I should say scare Madi into moving--Reina's pretty aggressive).

JoSue said...

I just recently babysat a little girl almost 6 months old who has MAJOR stranger anxiety. Let's just say the two hours she was at our house was not pleasant for us or our neighbors. She screamed the whole time...literally. I had no idea what to do because she would not be comforted by anyone but her Mom. Oh man.....just thinking back to that stresses me out. Hers was pretty severe though. Madi seems much more independent to let it get really bad. You just need to play hide and seek with her often so she gets used to you not being visible. :) By the way, so I don't have to make another comment, I think the red swimsuit makes Madi's thighs look slimmer. haha seriously. Love you guys!

Lis said...

Go Madi! POOP on the potty! how cool are you! Isnt it funny the things that we as moms get excited about!!! Im sure that would have been its own post on my blog! Thats cool shes moving around! Or worming! Lexi too isnt sure what the heck to do with knees. Oh well I suppose they learn when they do!? Oh and Lexi screamed for 2 days when anyone tried to take her from me. So dont feel bad. I think a trip home this summer will fix Madi! Or you can leave her here! Maybe that will fix it too!!! I cant believe Madi is 9 months!!! 9 is such a big number! I dont know why. Thats huge to me!!!! Im glad she quit fighting the pony's! NExT UP PIG TAILS!!!!

Candace said...

Happy 9 MONTH BIRTHDAY. I am so impressed that she is almost potty trained.(j/k) I am also jealous that you can do a ponytail.