This past Saturday Spencer and I, along with 12 other friends/family members went sailing out to Santa Cruz Island. Here's the 42 foot vessel that took us on this adventure- complete with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen and dining room! I was stoked about going since (unlike almost everyone else) I had never been out to the islands before!
We were loaded up and out the door by 6am. An hour later, after loading the boat with lots of food, gear, and people, we pulled out of the slip and were on our way! Spencer was first man on deck, safely steering us out of Channel Island Harbor and into the treacherous open ocean. Ok, to be honest, the channel was glassed out, blue skies as far as the eye could see and calm waters! With these conditions, there wasn't much wind so we had to turn on the engine and motor out the entire 21 nautical miles.
Here's a few of us at the back of the boat, enjoying the ride!
Left to right: Anie, Brittany, Jocelyn, and Laura
Jonathan, Tyler, Metta, and Lindsay
About halfway out to the island, we spotted a pod of dolphins off the port bow. Our rookie skipper, Jocelyn, made a reckless left turn to port to get a closer look at the porpoises. Fortunately for me, Spencer, and the others dangling their feet over the bow of the boat, we were able to hang on for our lives. With our lives intact, we suddenly found ourselves cruising in the middle of a pod of probably 50 dolphins! They raced along side the boat for quite awhile, jumping in and out of the water and showing off for everyone on board! Who needs Sea World??!
It took about 3 hours to get out to Santa Cruz. Here we are approaching the island.
Upon arriving and anchoring our boat in Little Scorpion Bay, Spencer, Tyler, and Jonathan immediately put on wet suits to do some diving. The water was so clear! Spencer and Tyler even braved swimming through a 100 yard long sea cave.
I wasn't ready to get into the water, so I went down below for a morning nap. I don't know if was waking up at 4:40am or the motion sickness pill I took that made me so tired, but this was one of three naps that I ended up taking during the day! I won't complain though-with Madi home with Spencer's mom, I was off mom duty and decided to live it up!!
While sleeping, several others went out in the water. Jocelyn and her friend Laura got in one of the rubber rafts and thought they could just sit there and float around the little bay. Being novices, they were quickly carried away by the wind and headed out to sea! Spencer and Tyler eventually took pity on them and went to the rescue. Tyler did most of the hard labor-rowing with minature ores. Spencer had the important task of holding the tow rope and coaching the stranded girls about the perils of the open ocean. We couldn't decide who had the tougher job here!
After waking up from nap #2, I was ready to get off the boat and onto the island.
After rowing to shore, we decided to hike around the island. Before beginning our hike we had to have a little bit of fun and check out the bathroom facilities. Nice!!
Some of our fellow sailors, hiking up to get a view down into Scorpion Bay!
The view at the top.
After our hike we were all so hot that several of us swam back to the boat. I kicked behind the boat while Spencer rowed. We swam around in the ocean for awhile, building up an appetite for dinner.
Spencer BBQ'd up some delicious carne asada for tacos!
After a yummy dinner and plenty of fun in the sun, we set sail at 6pm. After my third nap of the day, I headed to the front of the boat where I stayed the rest of the way home. To complete a perfect day, the wind actually picked up on the way back and we got to hoist the mainsail and the jib and do some real sailing!
Here's Spencer's artistic shot of the sails-
Notice how the ride home got progressively colder!
About a half hour before we got into the harbor, darkness set in and we sailed the rest of the way by way of GPS and lights marking the harbor entrance. Thanks to our skilled and brave skippers, Dad and John Lassen, we made it safely into the harbor!!
What a great day!! Our thanks must go to Dad and John Lassen for organizing the trip...and we can't forget Mom who sacrificed and stayed at home with Madilyn!!
14 comments:
Next time we will order up 8 foot swells and add 4 foot wind waves and have a real "roller coaster" ride. It was a GREAT day to be on the water!
What a perfect day!!! I'm super jealous, I totally wish we were there too!
Wow! What an amazing day!! I am so jealous! The dolphins swimming along side the boat has got to be the coolest thing ever! (especially since I just missed seeing the dolphin show at the Aquarium on Monday....your show was WAY cooler!)
Holy cow, that looks amazing. The water is beautiful!! I didn't think the coast water looked like that. And the dolphins....that is awesome. Looks like such a fun trip! Madi missed out. I'm glad you got a day off though.
I love it when the boat has to motor in. I know the guys hate it, becacuse they want to be sailing, but I like the LESS windy days. Lucky you!
Nice documentary of the day. I'm glad you left out the stressful parking problem at the end. :-) I'm just so glad I didn't have to do that! Thanks dads! It was SUCH a great day.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo fun!!!! Wish we could have been there with you guys!! :-)
Totally jealous! Looks like an amazing day!
WOW! What an amazing post! I LOVE the pictures and video of the dolphins...you tell spencer I'm patiently waiting for him to "skipper" us on a sailboat!!! so much fun!!! Your posts are so detailed, I LOVE IT!
That is so cool anie! youre one lucky girl!!! I LOVE that video of the dolphins! I cant even imagine what that must have been like in real life! I wish i was there with you! Forget Maryland!!! =)
Holy cow, Anie... I am waiting for your next post in which you will be visiting the moon! What HAVEN'T you done this summer??? I'm glad you're having such a great time! Live it up!!!
What a coooooool trip! You are doing so many fun things! The dolphins are awesome! I could watch them all day.
Those dolphins were amazing... I showed the video to Hannah, she loved it. I love how you were off "mom duty" and took 3 naps. It's nice to go to sleep with out worrying about the little one(s). Looks like an amazing trip!
WOW! After reading your blog I told Matt that I wanted to go to the beach before he starts school. You guys can't get enough of fun, huh?? (p.s. we miss Spencer's good cookin')
Post a Comment