Another adjustment started a few days ago around Elle's 2 week mark. She's become super needy in the evenings. After every feeding she grunts and groans in pain. Her face goes red and she cries really loud if set down. Makes me worry about if what I'm eating is having a negative effect on her. She acts like she's still hungry but I think it's more just the need of sucking to soothe herself. It's hard getting her to sleep and even harder keeping her asleep. I'm guessing it's just gas. Otherwise it could be the "night colic" which my doc suggested, and should disappear after she's 6 weeks.

Even though I'm continually reminded that I just had a baby, it's hard not to want some normalcy back. Saturdays are my new favorite day of the week- just because we get to have Spencer around. This past weekend flew by way too fast, leaving me already looking forward to the upcoming weekend (and it's only Tuesday)!
With all the frustrations that come with feeling like a zombie, smelling like spit up, and looking like a slob, I know that it's not a permanent thing. I just gotta give it time. Regardless of the craziness, I must say how lucky I feel to be able to spend my days with these 2 girls!

Aside from all the changes and occasional freak-outs, Madi's been the biggest helper ever. She really is an incredibly loving big sister. Every morning she wakes up super happy, with her first request being to see her sister. She sits on the bed with me while I nurse Elle and then Madi helps to burp. Anytime Elle starts to cry, Madi busts out into song with hopes of soothing her distraught baby sister (it actually works sometimes)! She "helps" with diaper changes- getting the diaper for me and then happily disposing of it afterwards. She'll bring my water bottle to me while I nurse and of course she begs to hold Elle several times throughout the day. I'm especially grateful for how gentle Madi is with her little sister.

And even though Elle's already got quite a temper and a nice set of lungs, she also has the sweetest smiles ever (none that I've gotten pictures of yet though- I'm always enjoying them way too much to grab the camera)! And there's nothing better than when she's awake, alert, and wanting to talk. I love that newborn baby stare that makes you feel like they know what you're saying and have something to tell you as well.
We're currently working on getting her to take a binky. For some reason my mom and Spencer have had success, but she never seems to want to take it from me. Spencer says I'm not patient enough, I say she knows I have something better!

Even though I'm continually reminded that I just had a baby, it's hard not to want some normalcy back. Saturdays are my new favorite day of the week- just because we get to have Spencer around. This past weekend flew by way too fast, leaving me already looking forward to the upcoming weekend (and it's only Tuesday)!
With all the frustrations that come with feeling like a zombie, smelling like spit up, and looking like a slob, I know that it's not a permanent thing. I just gotta give it time. Regardless of the craziness, I must say how lucky I feel to be able to spend my days with these 2 girls!

Aside from all the changes and occasional freak-outs, Madi's been the biggest helper ever. She really is an incredibly loving big sister. Every morning she wakes up super happy, with her first request being to see her sister. She sits on the bed with me while I nurse Elle and then Madi helps to burp. Anytime Elle starts to cry, Madi busts out into song with hopes of soothing her distraught baby sister (it actually works sometimes)! She "helps" with diaper changes- getting the diaper for me and then happily disposing of it afterwards. She'll bring my water bottle to me while I nurse and of course she begs to hold Elle several times throughout the day. I'm especially grateful for how gentle Madi is with her little sister.
She's also such a good sharer! Madi's new thing is to let us know whose is whose. She says, "That's yours and this is mines."

And even though Elle's already got quite a temper and a nice set of lungs, she also has the sweetest smiles ever (none that I've gotten pictures of yet though- I'm always enjoying them way too much to grab the camera)! And there's nothing better than when she's awake, alert, and wanting to talk. I love that newborn baby stare that makes you feel like they know what you're saying and have something to tell you as well.


13 comments:
I could never get my babies to take a pacifier either. Kevin and his mom had no trouble. Why would you want a pacifier when you could have the best thing... mommy.
It's hard having a newborn, as soon as she gets older you'll start to feel better. Can you remember this advice and tell it to me in 15 more weeks?
I love Madi's face while she's holding Elle. Looks and sounds like she is being the greatest big sister!
Oh. this post makes me SO sad. I wish we were there, down the street to come RESCUE you. Or at least play with Madi! Elle and Madi sure are CUTE together! And Madi looks SOOOOOOOO grown up holding her little sister! I really miss you guys. I cant wait until January when you COME VISIT ME! CUZ YOU ARE! Ill call you tomorrow! sleep TIGHT!!!! (you need ear plugs!!!) =)
We hope you have moved Elle into the extra bedroom with the monitor. Then you can get some rest. These girls are so cute and Papa and I really loved looking at all the pics. Miss you all too much. Wish that I had been there to help with her first bath. xoxoxoPapa and Gram
Sorry to hear you are still having to adjust, but hearing you go through it all makes me think someday I can do it too! Emphasis on SOMEDAY. You will be fine once she gets a little older and you can modify their schedules to fit each other. Meanwhile revel in the time you have alone with each kid, and take EXTRA mommy alone time on weekends when Spencer is home! AND let me know if you need anything!!
Oh my goodness, Elle is SO beautiful!! And Madi looks so adorable as a big sister!! :) Congratulations! I hope things start getting easier soon!
Anie - You have such a great attitude. It is hard, but it isn't forever. The first year of Charlie's life flew by like a blur for me, but now things seem better, and they will for you too!
Aww, this post makes me baby hungry!! Things will get easier, I promise. Those first few weeks are tough. Have you tried Mylicon for Elle's stomach/gas issues? It definitely helps with gas. Good luck!
such a doll baby! We did "bicycle legs" with the babies when they hit that stage. Also try holding baby with her back against your stomach and kind of draped over your forearm. Sometimes this helps if it is gas. The other trick is to lay her on her tummy, put your hand on her lower back and jiggle her back and forth. Lots of little tricks...
Then, there was Ava and the only thing that worked for her at night was to turn up KC and the Sunshine Band, and dance like crazy while I was holding her. LOTS of motion seemed to help her. Pretty decent workout for you too...
I'll call ya later! Love you tons!
Such an adjustment, huh??? I'm glad that Madi is such a good helper for you. That was not the case with Lucas! He's still quite rough with Kaitlin!
Elle is so cute! Good luck with your adjusting!!!!!
Only my boys would take binkies, and I tried hard with my girls! As much as I love nursing, I didn't want to be the 24 hour soothy! Elle is darling. I can't wait to spend some time with you and her!!
I hear ya- with two colicky newborns under my belt- I HATE the first 6-8 weeks! but seriously ann, elle looks just like you as a newborn- crazy!! love you, love you!!
Anie, feeling like a zombie, smelling like spit up and looking like a slob (although I doubt you look like a slob) are all part of the best job title you could ever ask for! I know that I am going to miss that spit up scent that I have enjoyed for the past 9 months. It will mean that my baby is growing up! Tyler wouldn't take a paci his first couple of months. I tried different brands and that still didn't work. I don't really remember when he changed his mind, but he sure loves his paci now! Don't give up! He was also very fussy at night time. It seemed like that was all Shaun knew for the first couple of months. I would have to convince Shaun that Tyler was very happy and content during the day. Sounds like Ellie is a normal newborn! You are lucky that Madi is such a good helper. Enjoy these first few weeks of chaos! Before you know it you will be wondering where the time has gone and you will miss parts of this stage! Love the pictures. I have the most adorable little nieces!
I'm right there with you sister....hang in there, we can do it!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment