Friday, July 31, 2009

Reality

It's finally catching up to me- a lot faster than I thought it would too. The reality of having two kids hit today, and it hit HARD!

The reality is:
- Living on only a few hours of broken sleep can start to impair the thinking. Then the headaches and tears set in.
- Having only one car in a 4 person family has more cons than pros.
- Packing up 2 kids (one of those being a 2 week old) and leaving the house every morning at 8am to take daddy to the Metro can get very old, very fast!
- Sleeping in is a rarity when you have more than one kid (but one that I look forward to experiencing tomorrow morning, having dad at home)!
- Errands to Target really should be done withOUT kids in tow.
- An older sibling can only be so sweet for so long. Pretty soon they'll start to feel neglected and need a LOT more attention!
- I'd take it as a sign that a child is not feeling well when they grab a blanket off the shelf at Target and lay down on the dirty black check-out mat.
- Then when given medicine, choke it up, throwing up in the process.
- Sometimes morning naps are a necessity for everyone!

11 comments:

tylerandmommy said...

Awwww Anie. At least it took like two weeks to have to face reality. You'll get the hang of it SO fast and forget it ever was hard for you. And remember, good thing Elle is not twins. Let me know if you need any help!

Tisha said...

just give me the word and I'll come rescue madi for a week- you know she'd love some craziness with her calhoun cousins!! :) hang in there- two is such a hard transition, it WILL get easier- I promise! xoxo

Lis said...

Oh man Anie! Im sorry, I hadd to laugh though! I have no advice. Well, maybe just lock your self in the closet with a pair of ear muffs. I could send you a pair? We have like 8 of them floating around here!!!!I cant believe madi did that at target. You poor thing. I wish I could take her for a day. or a WEEK! is she too young to fly alone?? haha!!!

The Hansen Family said...

Oh Anie! You can do it girl! It's crazy and it stinks so bad every once in a while but just hang in there! Beckham and Ethan both got RSV right after Beckham was born and I thought I was going to shoot myself some days! They are so worth it though and I promise it gets better! You're in our thoughts and prayers!

Cristin said...

Yeah, reality is hard, but I have realized that the good parts of life with 2 kids make me forget that bad and hopefully it will be the same way with your 2 little ones.

David and Sarah said...

Aw, I'm sorry you had such a rough day. Don't worry I'm sure things will get easier for you, you're a tough girl. You'll make it. Let me know if I can help. I could take Madi for a play date or something.

Jen said...

I'm with Tish, yes, it will get easier. Sleep when you can, and STOP feeling like you need to have "activities" every day for Madi. She's fine to play with toys or draw and just be mellow for a little bit while you all make the transition into family life with more than one kid! I remember (quite vividly) one day when Spence was a newborn, and he'd been crying ALL day and I was so frazzled that when Scott finally came home at the end of the day, I pushed Spence into his arms, and left the house for a bit. Sometimes you have to get out by yourself! Also.....is there another way to figure out that morning thing with Spencer? Can he pay to park the car at least a few times a week? Take a look at everything you have going on and see where you can simplify! Right now is not the time to stress out over what you are getting done...just go with the flow, and before you know it, life will get back to normal! I promise!

And here's my other little word of advice....two was rough..but THREE put me over the edge! Hang in there!!! I love you tons!

Jones Family said...

Poor Madi... She sounds stressed too. Don't worry, it will get better. Just take it week by week.

Dan and Bec said...

Hang in there. As far as shopping goes with two kids...AVOID it. I'd love to come over and hang out with your two so you can go on your OWN! Let you friends help right now while hormones are crazy and sleep is little! That is what we are here for. What can I do? I will be calling!!!

The Harpers said...

I hear you!! Especially the running errands thing--remember when that used to be relaxing and fun?!?! It probably doesn't help right now, but it DOES get better. Much, MUCH better!

Terry Family said...

Anie, someday you will welcome the thought of shopping with only 2kids (even 3 kids is a breeze these days)! It will get better! As far as sleep goes, I am still waking up 2 times a night with Tyler and he is 9 months old! He was sleeping thru the night a couple of months ago, but with the craziness of summer and all the traveling he has done, sleeping all night is not one of his strengths! I look back at the first few months of Tyler's life, and it is all a blur! I don't know how I functioned thru the holidays, but I did! You can too! Hang in there...don't have any expectations and you can't be dissapointed!