Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patty's

It wasn't the easiest thing explaining why we celebrate St. Patrick's Day to our group of preschoolers today. When I asked them about the holiday, each of the girls thought long and hard about it, but couldn't come up with anything. It was Madi who broke the ice with "GO BYU COUGARS!!" Obviously, Madi took to heart the real reason why today was important (today was the first round of the NCAA tourney. Thankfully, BYU and Jimmer Fredette took care of business)!

But hey, regardless of the holiday, I was just happy to have a reason to plan something fun and celebrate! On the menu today:
Breakfast- green pancakes and eggs
Lunch- green mac-n-cheese, pickles, kiwis, grapes, lime jello jigglers, cupcakes (with green sprinkles & skittles) and lime bars.
Dinner- Grilled Cheese and Edamames

I kinda lost interest with the green foods by dinner time. I forgot to serve the edamames for lunch so I was completely satisfied with having them as my only "green" for dinner. I'm just glad that Spencer's not a fan of the traditional corned beef and cabbage (corned beef and garbage as he calls it) meal.

Preschool Activities:
- Shamrock, clover, leprechaun coloring
- Leprechaun Footprints (using green paint and gold glitter)
- St. Patrick's Day crowns (thanks Becky for the great idea)
-Pattern making with leprechauns, gold, and clovers for homework (Madi loves having homework)
The 3 preschool girls + Brooklyn.
Abby and Elle were running around and not willing to pose for any pictures.

We had a fun party in the morning, a delicious lunch with 6 little girls, and ended with doing bubbles and sidewalk chalk outside. It was a gorgeous day, so after Elle's nap we headed to the park and stayed for almost 2 hours!!

I love this time of year. The trees are starting to bloom (which I thought for sure I was going to miss- being in CA for 3 weeks and all) and I love the longer days and of course the warmer weather!! Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Elle turned 20 months today! I tried really hard to get her to wear a green sweater, but she's in a total dress phase right now. She wants to wear a dress every single day. And some days, like today, she'll wear two dresses at a time! At least one of the dresses she chose did have some green flowers on it! :)

5 comments:

JoSue said...

I was getting worried about you because you left the blogosphere for a while. :) I feel totally lame I didn't do anything creative today for St. Patrick's Day. Next year right?? I didn't even wear green. LAME! Such cute food and craft ideas though. I'll be sure to refer back to this blog when I am planning next March. xoxo

Jocelyn said...

No corned beef and cabbage!? Sad day! Michael and I are making it on Sunday. We'll see how well we do. I have never actually made it, Mom always took care of that. I cant wait until we have kids so I can do all those fun St Patty's day things. Hope to see you guys in July! xoxo Joci

Papa said...

Miss being in California when the trees are in bloom?? Hey we have trees in bloom!! I just can't wait to snuggle with my babies. I'm trying to have a lot of things done so we have time to enjoy your visit. xoxoxMOM

Dan and Bec said...

The party was fun! Too bad I didn't get many pictures and the ones I took didn't turn out so great.
I came home a quickly got the jello-jigglers in the fridge for Jake. They enjoyed them until Dan told them what they were made from. Cow bone marrow!? We were all done after that comment, whether it was true or not:)

Terry Family said...

Looks like lots of fun! We spent the day at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO and ate taco bell for dinner! Not the typical St. Patty's day, but still lots of fun! We have been eating lots of green smoothies lately...they are so good and good for you! I blend a whole bunch of fresh spinach with water and then add whatever fruit I feel like (a couple of bananas, frozen peaches, frozen mangos, strawberries, frozen berry blend... a spoonful of orange juice concentrate, and blend it all up into a beautiful green (or murky brown if you add a lot of berries) smoothie! So tasty, filling and healthy!